Saturday, March 7, 2020

What's on the Reading Radar? #WishList #TBR #read

What am I doing? Seriously y'all, edits. I got excited yesterday because I finished a round and I could finally do something else! And then I remembered that I have edits waiting for me for other books. *cue a two-year-old mental temper tantrum* I want to write new words, all the new words. I'll have to mix it up and see if I cannot do both while I'm waiting for the last round of edits for Constant to make it back to me.

A break in the edits meant I got to break for some reading! Not a lot mind you, but it's more than I have read for a while. 

Title: Midsummer Song
Series: (Midsummer's Night Book 5)
Author: Megan Derr
Length: 52 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Gay

Notes: I love this series. I have them not only on ebook but if they are on audio, I have that format as well. I was so happy to stumble across this and read it right away. I love have everybody underestimates Low!! Great addition to this feel-good series. I hope there are many, many more. 

Blurb: All Daniel's ever wanted is to sing. Being a siren has always made that a dangerous undertaking, but he's never needed magic to make people like his songs. His bandmates, however, are more than willing to use his siren talents to get what they want—even if they do it against Daniel's will.

Betrayed and distraught, Daniel flees in the dead of night, bound for anywhere that will keep him out of sight until his contract with the band expires. Exhausted after hours of driving, he decides to stop for the night, and winds up stopping in a strange town known as Midsummer's Night.

He's soon pointed to a bed & breakfast run by the world's most adorable brownie—who also happens to be a huge fan, reminding Daniel viscerally that whatever Daniel wants comes second to what he is and all the people trying to hunt him down.


Title: Skin and Bones
Series: (The Ever Chace Chronicles Book 1)
Author: Susan Harris
Length: 281 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Mystery / Urban Fantasy? / Werewolves / Vampires

Notes: Paranormal Investigation organization, mystery... I created an account on BookBub and they send out daily newsletters. This was on one and it said something about a grumpy werewolf and a mystery and I clicked. I'm here for the grumpy wolf. I hope he's really cantankerous. That would be awesome.

Blurb: Being human in a world filled with supernatural creatures can give a girl a complex. Dr. Ever Chace wants nothing more than to be able to stand out in this crazy place she calls home. When she’s asked to consult on a case where teens are being brutalized, she relishes the chance to make a difference by helping to stop a monster. But when she’s teamed up to work alongside a sexy shifter, she ends up with more than she bargained for.

Derek Doyle has been a member of the Paranormal Investigations Team since the monsters first revealed themselves to the world. Considering he believes it takes a monster to catch a monster, he’s definitely in the right place. As a lone wolf not used to letting many people in, he isn’t prepared for the effect his new partner, consultant Dr. Ever Chace, has on him.

With a murderer on the loose, Ever and Derek will have to put their attraction aside while the hunt continues. Easier said than done… right?


Title: Gideon the Ninth
Series: (The Locked Tomb Trilogy Book 1)
Author: Tamsyn Muir
Length: 437 pages

Genre: Fantasy / Sword & Sorcery / Action & Adventure / Lesbian / Romantic Elements

Notes: I have been looking at this book for a loooonng time. What has held me back was not knowing there would be an HEA. It's listed in the Lesbian Romance section of Amazon but when it first came out it was in the fiction section and sometimes fiction has bittersweet endings.

Blurb: The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense.

Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.


Title: How to Vex a Vampire
Series: (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1)
Author: Alice Winters
Length: 360 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Vampires / Gay / Humor /

Notes: I think that I have a thing for paranormal investigation books at this time...

Blurb: Finn

Getting into the vampire-only detective unit was the easy part; what’s going to be more difficult is dealing with my new partner, an ancient vampire who keeps threatening to eat me. The unit has never had a human in it, and Marcus—or as I like to call him, Fangy McFangface—would really prefer to keep it that way. He’s grumpy, short-tempered, and broody, but I have a way with words and I know he’s starting to like me, even if he swears he’s not. But what he doesn’t know is that I didn’t join the unit because I was tired of being a homicide detective, I joined because there is someone after me. They’ve already taken enough from me and I’m afraid they’re going to take all of me if I don’t find someone to help. That’s all Marcus was supposed to be, but now, he’s so much more and I can’t imagine my life without him.

Marcus


The moment the pesky human walked through that door, I knew I had to get rid of him. He’s charming and almost everyone else instantly loves him, but he doesn’t understand how risky it is being part of this unit as a human. But as I get to know the stubborn man, I learn that perhaps he’s not as naive as I once thought. And maybe he’s what I needed to realize there is more to life than just work and my dog. A group arises who is threatening to disrupt the alliance between the humans and the vampires, but Finn is the one who shows me how strong that alliance can be and reminds me why it’s worth protecting. When threats hit closer to home, I realize I would do anything for Finn because he’s brought so much joy to my life—and because he’s mine.

This 105k word book contains: A creative use for undergarments, unintentional splits, a wolfhound who just wants to be a part of things, a vertically challenged human who still manages to wrap every vampire he meets around his little finger, the best date ever, possessiveness, really awkward dancing, some workplace revenge, and just a bite or two. Or three.


Title: Revelations
Series: Fire & Brimstone Scroll 1
Author: Nikole Knight
Length: 390 pages

Genre: Slow Burn Romance / Paranormal / Poly / Gay / 

Notes: 

Blurb: Jai was my strength, Noel, my sanity, and Gideon, he was my safety. For my family, I would do anything. I would die for them, and I feared, in the end, that’s exactly what would be asked of me.


College freshman, Riley Shepard, is nothing if not ordinary—except for his crippling shyness, social ineptitude, and, every once in a while, seeing things that don’t exist. Other than that, he is definitely normal. Or at least, he tries to be.

When one fateful night opens his eyes to a universe he never knew existed, his life changes forever. Reality-altering truths are revealed, and Riley must navigate a world of angels, demons, and everything in between. Thankfully, three overprotective Guardians have made it their mission to help.

With the promise of friends, family, and freedom finally within his grasp, he fears not only for his heart, but for his life as well.

But some things are worth dying for.

***This is a (very) slow burn harem/poly romance with a HFN ending. The series will be HEA. For trigger warnings, see author's note. This edition has been re-edited.***


Title: Dragon God
Series: (Dragon Gods)
Author: EE Montgomery
Length: 306 pages

Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Sword & Sorcery / LGBT Fantasy / 

Notes: 

Blurb: Dragon God is a fantasy story of taking responsibility for your life and making right the mistakes of your past.

Fisher has lived a life of hardship and horror and made many decisions that harmed others. He now has an opportunity for a new life, a new beginning, where he can live in harmony with the world and the people in it. When he discovers an elixir he helped create is killing innocent people, he knows his only way to freedom is to destroy the sources of the elixir. He must confront the circumstances of his childhood and his banishment from the city of his birth in order to prevent more deaths. Unfortunately, the destruction of his past lingers and everywhere Fisher goes fire and death follow. It takes an encounter with the Dragon King, who reveals Fisher's true nature, and the love of a dragon god for Fisher to embrace who he truly is and begin to move forward.


Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Eew, edits:) Stay strong. I loved Midsummer Song (Megan Derr is an auto buy for me!). What I loved most wast he love interest was not your typical muscle-bound hunk or perfect pretty boy. I loved how the MC loved his pudgy little brownie. I have looked at the Gideon book for a loooong time too. Have you read it, or is it just on the radar? I just finished a book you might like (I loved it). No paranormal element, but an awesome steampunky setting. It was called Innocence and Carnality, by Alan J. Veerkamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that too about Midsummer Song! I just wanted to squeeze them both. I have not read Gideon yet. I did spend one of my Audible credits on the audiobook this weekend, so I'm going to start it soon. If I liked it, it will make another Saturday's Reading Radar and I'll have notes about it. Thank you for the recommendation, I'll look up Innocence and Carnality!

      Delete