Sunday, March 15, 2020

Timeline Sharing #ValespianPactQandA #ConstantVP3 #scifi #LGBTIAQ #mmromance #alienromance #spaceopera



One important thing readers need to know up front is that Constant shares a timeline with Striker. Constant starts where Prince Canry involves himself in his family's future at the beginning of Striker. Because of this, there are a couple of shared scenes from different perspectives. I learned many things while writing Constant, one of them being I will never have two stories share the same time period again! LOL!

A couple of times, I struggled with how to present the scene in a unique way so that it was the same but not the same. I asked the characters how they saw what was happening and sometimes the character just stared back at me blankly. *shakes fist* That's not helpful! But in others, characters had very definite thoughts and ideas. They were vocal about what they felt, and I didn't have to spend a lot of time poking at them.

Some of the scenes only share key moments, such as Canry coming to shore for Zeus, before backing off and showing what was going on outside Zeus's purview. Those opportunities gave us a better look at the People of the Longing, revealed secrets of the Waters, and showed us how the Mar'Sani saw Zeus.

Though there is a shared timeline, there are only a handful of shared scenes. The rest of the scenes are their own 'creature'. Mestor was pining. Sohm'lan was brooding. Zeus wasn't the only Vondorian youngling to jump into a fight without waiting for his Monticore guard... And since I don't want to give away spoilers, I will stop there.

Can Constant be read without a re-read of the first two books? I think you can. I put enough reminders in there so readers can follow along if they haven't read Alpha Trine and Striker for a while. Plus, if you need an additional reminder, I posted a character list yesterday that you can look through.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!




No comments:

Post a Comment