Saturday, December 28, 2019

2019 Favorite Books #ebooks #favoritereadsfortheyear

I usually love putting together my favorite reads of the year, but I didn't think that I would have much to share, since I re-read my favorite books and series for most of this year. As I was gathering details though, it became obvious I was mistaken. :)

I read a lot of different types of books. Romantic, not romantic. Fantasy, Paranormal, and Sci-Fi. Occasionally, I'll read contemporary romance but those are few. 


I'm going start off with one of my favorite, fun series, Brimstone. I have a habit of buying then saving the last release of series until the next one is released... or for rainy days when I cannot settle on what to read. I held on to Beside a Black Tarn and binged when The Hunt for Red Fluffy released on audiobook. I love relaxing into this world and all the cuteness that is deadly in different ways. Over the course of the series, Leopold has stolen my heart with his little jackets and his princely demeanor that makes you just want to pinch his little cheeks. But Heckle holds my heart. I loved that he found his footing in Beside a Black Tarn.

Stalked by Shadows gave me a little bit of everything. Budding romance, a bit of mystery, a bit of paranormal of the non-shifter kind, it all hit the spot and I want MORE. I loved these character and the world they live in. I can't wait to see what comes next. *makes grabby hands*


This book introduced me to RJ Blain. I read Wolf Hunt not knowing it was a part of a series. Later in the book there are crossover characters but it was explained well and I wasn't lost at all. This is a non-romantic paranormal story that at times was funny (his wolf is pink) but ends with happy for now. I really enjoyed it and looked up the author (that is when I found it was part of a series) and tried her Magical Romantic Comedy (with a body count) UF series. What a laugh. Lots of snark and action. Sex happens off page which works so well for me since I'm more interested in the plot. There is a variety and they are great fun, but my favorites are Playing with Fire with the napalm eating unicorn, Hoofin' It, the only book in the series told from the man's POV. Shane is a former cop and the mundane son of an alpha werewolf who can't catch the virus. And... I was going to name a couple more but then that would be half the series. Just give it a try and find your favorites. :D

The Inn Keeper series is one of my favorite series that I re-read all the time. I was super happy to get Maud's story in Sweep of the Blade. I Love Everything About This Book. We get more of this world, Arland, the homeplanet of the vampires, and intimate look at House Krahr. Maud is kickass. She does not back down and I loved how Arland was patient with her. Book five is releasing in January and I cannot tell you how excited I am. I might have to do a complete re-read before then.

Mask of Shadows is such an excellent fantasy about how a thief who competes to become one of the queen's assassins. There was awesome tension that wasn't angsty (thank you!). I kept stopping because I was sure they were going to get caught or killed. There's action, a bit of a mystery, motives of revenge, and I was never bored. I will definitely check out this author's back list.

The 5th Gender is an excellent sci-fi romance told mainly from the POV of the alien. Seeing the world from his perspective was funny and fascinating, and at times, tear inducing. This does have a mystery that was interesting to follow because it was wrapped up in what Tristol was. I've already re-read this one a couple of times. 

I'm ecstatic that I stumbled onto Gesa's Menagerie series. I devoured this poly romance and loved every minute, then I went and stalked the author. Gesa is a gryphon after my own heart and made me laugh more than once. I know what it feels like to be the rhino in heels. Each book she gathers someone new to her pride, each unique and bringing their own problems and/or insecurities. I would love to read more about this world and the people in it. Perhaps a certain demon and incubus... hint! hint!

This is my sole contemporary romance on the list. Hear Me Out is a bisexual biker romance with a friend to lovers theme... trope. Also, one MC goes deaf and the other one is waxed. I laughed until I cried. The waxing scene was epic. It is the 5th book in series but can be read as a standalone with no problem. I did find another book by this author that I enjoyed. It's set in the same world as Hear Me Out but was written as a standalone. Out of the Blue is a menage with a brother (biker), paramedic, and a cop.

Tanya Huff is one of my favorite sci-fi authors. I've been giving her fantasy series a try and fell in love with the Gale women of Enchanted Emporium. The second book in the series The Wild Ways is about Charlotte who was introduced in the first book of the series. I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy her book as much, but I was wrong. I loved getting to know her and seeing deeper into the Gale family and the world they live in. I've had book three forever and have been holding onto it because I don't want the series to end. I'll have to look and see if it's the last one or not. 

Knight's Fire is a PNR about a knight rescuing the dragon. I have a thing for dragons and loved how this book flipped tropes. Usually the dragon is the dangerous one and needs to be tamed or killed. I loved the difference and instead of being the alpha dominate, you just want to take the dragon under your wing and protect him. Such a fun and endearing read. I look forward to more in this world!

I was introduce to Amanda Milo when I took a chance on Stolen by the Alien. Since then, I haven't read a book she's written that I don't like, most of them I absolutely love. Contagion is my newest love. It is told completely from the alien's POV and he is a bit phobic when it comes to germs and cleanliness. He's the one kidnapped and plopped down on a foreign planet with only Aurora to guide him. It was fun and funny, but also took the appropriate things seriously. 

Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case introduced me AJ Sherwood. I have devoured everything they have written so far. Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Contemporary, or whatever, I read it all and loved each book. If any of them release on audiobook, those are mine as well. Intriguing worlds, characters I want to bring home, humor, mystery, and heart. It has convinced me that I will read anything they write, the one click auto-buy without reading the blurb. 

I am a longtime Lyn Gala fan, so it's not a surprise how much I loved Earth Fathers are Weird. I read a lot of Sci-fi alien romances and it's hard to find books outside the well-worn theme of kidnapped humans. This deviates from the beginning. Max is taken before he would have been killed in the middle of an alien cops & robbers chase. Then he's dropped off with social services where he looks for work to get back home. This was much more fun than I anticipated and was excited to here there is another book coming in this world. 

And I left the angst free romance series for last. The Blue Solace series starts with The Mercenary's Mate. Leti is running away from his parents with his baby sister, his best friend, and menagerie of pets. They are stowed away on the Blue Solace where Leti finds his mate and a fun adventure begins. I loved that this was an angst free series with a sweetness that mixed well with the setting. The overall plot is more space opera in scope with lots of action and adventure. The last book is coming soon. I'm sorry to see the series end but hopefully Gray has another sci-romance up her sleeve. 

That's all for my favorite reads of 2019! What were your favorites?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So happy the Menagerie made it to the list. I'm in good company!!!

    ReplyDelete