Friday, August 19, 2022

What's on the Reading Radar? #WishList #TBR #sampling

I've been doing a lot of research this week into the Sumerian Land of the Dead and the goddess Ereshkigal. Not an easy topic to research when there are very few references available, and when they are, they are mentioned in conjunction with something else and don't have the details that I need. I've read a few interesting things though. One of them was the honors thesis by KM Torres, about the decent of Inanna into Ereshkigal's domain and how she was returned to this plain. There is commentary on lamenting and gender which I found to be really interesting. I'm a geek, I know. 

Anyway, this week has been a rereading week. So the list today will be about samples I sent to myself.

Series: 
Author: Zia Quinn
Length: 252 pages

Genre: Romance / Sci-Fi / Aliens / Gay

Notes: More than once I've wished that Ruby Dixon wrote a couple of gay romances in her Ice Planet series. The set up of that world was ripe for same sex partners, just sayin'. 

This has some similarities. Blue aliens, abducted human who got away, and an ice world, but that's about it. I've only read the sample but liked it and bought the book.

Blurb: Harry Davies thought the worst part of hiking the Oregon woods in December was the uphill trail to the cabin. His five gay friends all agree. It's cold, they're hungry, and it's margarita-o'clock. But Harry's worried about other things. Cougars. Bears. And some strange, animal-like creature a friend had filmed there years ago. His friends say he's being stupid. But when something dark moves in the trees around them, Harry fears they could all be in danger. And when his friends start vanishing into thin air, there's nothing to do but run—straight into the arms of animal-like creatures with technology like they've never seen.

Something is pushing Vexe toward a disturbance in the sky. A ship, possibly slavers returning to capture more of his people to be sold on Bengus-6. The huge, blue-skinned Zentarans are a favorite of the Ghovik slavers, and Vexe knows he should abandon his hunt and head back to the colony. But he can't resist the strange compulsion—the need—that pulls him through the harsh, snow-covered mountainside, straight for the ship, which he's sure now is going to crash. And straight for the exotic, human survivor, desperate for Vexe's help. Vexe's soulbond explodes to life, compelling him to possess her, his rhuza, his destined mate. But the little human will not submit without a fight. And there is much Vexe must learn before he can claim his rhuza, the beautiful human woman, Harry…

Reader note: contains gay Sci-Fi Romance, alpha aliens, and a happily ever after

Title: Roark
Series: The Dragon's of Thunderbird Mountain, 1
Author: Terry Poole
Length: 191 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Dragons / Gay

Notes: I got to this sample last night and bought the book. It's cute and what drew me was the line in the blurb about him running. I'm in that sort of mood where my first thought was, "Oh! We have a runner!" LOL

Blurb: Dragons are real. They live among us in secret. It could be your neighbor, your boss, or your best friend, and you would never know.

Cameron loves his life on the road. As a truck driver in Canada’s north, he sees majestic mountains, lush valleys and waterfalls that fall hundreds of feet. He couldn’t be happier. Until one day, his rig breaks down in the middle of nowhere and a creature out of mythology comes to his rescue, opening up a world he never knew existed.

A world in which Roark, the High King of the dragons, chooses him for his consort. Or does he?

Heartbroken, Cameron flees from Thunderbird Mountain. He can run, but he can’t hide and must decide if dragons can be a part of his future or not.

This book contains the mention of emotional abuse and trauma, along with sexy dragons, happy endings and an egg, which hatches an adorable baby dragon.

Series: D.O.A. 1
Author: Cree Storm
Length: 177 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Gay

Notes: 

Blurb: Rene and his men are known as D.O.A., Dragons of Anarchy. They were created centuries ago, by the great Heck, to find and destroy serialists by any means necessary. Each member was gifted with a dragon that was connected to their soul. If one died, so did the other. The men didn't shift into the dragon, but they would call out and the maharishi would join them in the fight against evil. Not wanting their secret discovered, D.O.A. lived in a town called Drago, just outside Poconos Boulevard, and they hid behind their image as a bad ass motorcycle club

Children were being murdered and Rene, otherwise known as Pit, along with his men were out to find out who was behind the copycat murders of a long time serial killer known as the Alphabet Killer. While questioning a victim's mother, Rene discovered his sentience, his mate. Now all he had to do was figure out how to tell the man he was not exactly human, and he better do it fast because his dragon heat was already kicking in.

Bren was the local town veterinarian. He figured something was off about SI Rene Telkin. If not from the leather jacket with a large D.O.A. patch on the back, then maybe because he drove a navy Blue Harley Davidson CVO Street glider instead of a tan sedan.
Bren was not the type to get mixed up with a biker club, even if the man was a cop. However, something kept drawing him to the sexy man and it seemed that nothing would break the bond they were forming. Not even when he discovered the secret all D.O.A. agents held. A large dragon for a partner.

Now Rene needs to do his best to claim his mate and also track down a serial killer, because on the last body was a note threatening the good doctor of Poconos Boulevard.

Series: Javier Coven, 1
Author: Jayda Marx
Length: 434 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Vampires / Prince / Gay /

Notes: I'll be honest, I didn't read the blurb. It's long, and it wasn't talking to me in the first couple of lines. But I skipped to the bottom where there's an author's note which did more to sell me on taking a sample than the blurb did. 

Blurb: Dante – For over three hundred years, I’ve waited for Fate to deliver my soulmate; the person I’d love for the rest of my life; the one I was destined to protect, to treasure and to cherish. The one to complete me. I never expected to find him dancing like an angel in my nightclub. The moment my eyes gazed upon his beauty, my heart was gone. The most mesmerizing thing about him were his eyes; he had the biggest, roundest doe eyes I’d ever seen. They were an enchanting shade of blue; the exact color of the Mediterranean Sea. When I looked into those eyes, I was home. The problem? Ben is human and knows nothing of vampires or our culture. His anxious nature and pure heart give me pause in divulging my true identity. Will he believe what I have to tell him? Can he ever accept what I’ve done; what I need to do? Can someone so sweet and innocent ever see me as anything but a monster? Time is running out for me to claim my mate as I grow weaker every day. If he does accept me, can I keep him safe from the dangers that lurk around every corner?

Ben – The nightclub really isn’t my scene. I’m more of a book reading, star gazing nerd at heart. However, I allow my best friend to drag me out one night (at nine o’clock, I might add!) because I can’t resist his puppy dog expression and he knows it. There, I find the sexiest man I’ve ever seen; tall, strong, and with a sultry Spanish accent that turns my insides to goo. We hit it off immediately, but I’m worried; how can this wealthy, powerful man be attracted to boring little me? The most exciting thing about me is that I know how to ballroom dance, and that’s only because I took lessons with my grandma! I’ve got no experience with men, my best friend refers to me as “Papaw” because again, I’m boring, and a hundred different worries are always battling in my mind. Can Dante accept me as I am and maybe bring a little excitement into my life?

*This M/M paranormal romance is for readers 18 and up! It has no cliffhangers or cheating and a very happy HEA. It contains a sexy Spaniard vampire, his anxious little love and a hilarious (if not insufferable) best friend. Look out for lurking dangers, heartwarming moments and steamy scenes!

**Author’s note: Thank you for your interest in my book! This paranormal romance features my take on some seriously sexy vampires. They share many attributes of vampires found in other fictional works, but not all. This book contains dark elements, fated mates, sweet moments and lots of laughs. My stories tend to be low angst because it hurts my heart; I like getting to the good stuff and live for fluff. If “instalove” isn’t your thing, my books may not be for you. I want my readers to finish my books with a smile on their face and a fierce case of the warm and fuzzies. Laughter is guaranteed, and each read delivers its own type of drama. Thanks again for taking a look and happy reading!




Series: The Reckless Damned, 1
Author: Lark Taylor
Length: 324 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Gay

Notes: 

Blurb: Cal and his brothers turned their backs on the family business over a hundred years ago. Hell is tired of waiting for them to return.

Cal

I’ve never wanted a relationship—especially not with a human. With my father demanding my return to Hell and a demon leaving dead bodies in my bookshop, now is not the time to lose my heart. But one look in Oscar’s broken eyes, and I know I’m in trouble. Oscar’s been hurt before, and everything in me screams to keep him safe. How can I do that when I know being with me will only put him in more danger?

More importantly, am I strong enough to walk away from him?

Oscar

After escaping my last relationship with broken bones and an anxiety disorder, I’m tired of living half a life. My world revolves around my classroom, flat, and best friend. When fate throws Cal in my path, he seems too good to be true. He looks like he’s been pulled from my fantasies, and my baggage doesn’t scare him. Ok, so there’s the tiny issue of him being a demon, but I’ve dealt with far scarier.

I’ve been broken once before, and I don’t think I’d survive it again. Can I let down my barriers enough to let Cal in?

Devil’s Mark is a thrilling high heat, hurt/comfort, M/M contemporary paranormal romance with a HEA and no cliff-hanger. It features a possessive demon and the broken teacher who captures his heart. ‘Devil’s Mark’ is the first in The Reckless Damned series but can be read as a standalone. Each book focuses on a different couple and will have a HEA.

Trigger warning for emotional abuse and domestic violence in a previous relationship, anxiety attacks, and descriptions of violence.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment