Friday, April 22, 2022

What's on the Reading Radar? #read #TBR #WishList

It's been a busy-not-busy week. Trying to get some world building changed, plotting fixed, and figure out systems for something-that-is-secret. So yeah, the week sped by and suddenly the weekend was looming. 

Reading had been alright. I got some new reads in last week but forgot about the Radar. This week, I've been rereading what used to be old favorites only to run into so, so many glaring problems. It was a reminder why I don't read certain things anymore. I'm always really disappointed when books don't stand up to the 'test of time'. So much misogyny in some of these old used-to-be-favorites that it hurts, but it can also be a measuring rod for how my views have changed, how I won't overlook things like I used to, and well, just a lot of me changing, which is not a bad thing.

The reading that I did before rereading was good though and covered a wide range of things. LOL

Series: (Covens of Eaton Falls Book 1)
Author: Mia Monroe
Length: 325

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Vampires / Witches / Gay

Notes: This is a new to me author and I do love vampires. It was a fun story with the majority of the plot being very strong on the romance and relationship between the two MCs. The action/adversary side of the story, the MCs were reactionaries instead of proactive, but that worked for the story since it was mainly about their forbidden relationship. 

Blurb: Waking up in my enemy’s bed is just the start of my problems.

The first rule of being a witch: don’t trust the vampires. My entire life has been filled with stories of our warring covens. We tenuously coexist in the New England city of Eaton Falls, where the locals think we’re merely the stuff of fairy tales and horror movies.

We live life as the mortals do, keeping our magic behind the scenes. Everything is fine until the day I wake up inside notorious Eaton Manor, in the bed of none other than the sexy and terrifying head vampire, Augustus Rainier, with no memory of how I got there.

His presence makes my skin tingle and my heart beat just a little faster. I know the inherent danger of associating with violent, often unpredictable vampires. I’ve got bigger problems, though, when I discover my coven is in hiding, leaving me on my own.

When danger shows up at Eaton Manor, it becomes clear it’s not only the witches in trouble. Both covens need to decide: do we fight separate battles against the same enemy or break every rule in our history and join forces to defeat a common foe? The other major question—will possessive and domineering Augustus let me go when this is over?

Never Trust A Guy With Fangs is an MM paranormal romance. It is book one in the Covens of Eaton Falls series featuring a rebellious twink of a witch with eternal optimism, an edgy vampire with a strong mistrust of witches, two stubborn and quirky covens, a threat from an unknown enemy, and a dangerous desire that could tear apart tradition, all in a beautiful New England backdrop. It is not a standalone.

Series: (Breaking Tradition Book 2)
Author: Mary Calmes
Length: 318

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Omegaverse (not mpreg) / Gay

Notes: Omegavereses are not light and fun reads. For me, they can be painful and I usually avoid them unless they are tagged with 'light and fluffy'. This omegaverse world is rife with injustices that people are now trying to fix, but that isn't the core of this story, though it's part of the series plot arc. There are trigger warnings and if you're in a light and fluffy state of mind, don't read this book. On most days, I wouldn't be able to read this myself because my heart is quite squishy. :)

I enjoyed the first book of this series and that is where we meet Linden and Wade. Linden's backstory is heart rending but his strength of character is what helped me keep reading. He has built something that he's proud of since being technically emancipated, and he's a character who I really liked. I liked Wade, too, and was so interested to see how these two worked since Wade was not a shifter. There was a bit of a mystery here that I didn't even try to guess at and just went with the flow. I really enjoyed the story, romance, and outcome, though I don't think this will be a reread simply because Linden's backstory hurts the heart and can make one ragey about a world that would overlook injustices like he suffered. 

Blurb: Linden Van Doren is in a strange position. He’s an emancipated omega holding down two jobs, so he should be out from under anyone’s thumb but in reality, there are still weird lupine rules to follow. For instance, if an alpha wants to court him, he’s not allowed to say no. If that same alpha asks for his hand in bonding, however, as there’s no contract that anyone holds but him, he can certainly say no to that. And would. He trusts no alpha to keep their word even though they’re the only ones who could make his dreams come true. It’s all very confusing and a bit ridiculous but until all omegas are free to do whatever they want with their lives, his odd circumstances are the norm. He’s also doing his very small part to help others—and that just became a problem.

Wade Massey is a homicide detective with the Chicago PD. He’s partners with Avery Davenport, which puts him in close, continual contact with Avery’s friend, Linden Van Doren. Wade isn’t sure what it is about Linden that drives him nuts. And annoying the hell out of the stunning omega should make Wade want to stay away from him. The problem is, he can’t seem to do that. Besides, Linden needs a keeper. Wade has never actually met anyone who needs someone looking out for them more and really, no one but Wade can be trusted to do it and keep their hands off the tantalizing man.

When the FBI comes knocking because omegas have gone missing, Wade finds out that Linden has been far more active in the fight to help other omegas than he imagined. When both men are drafted to help, they are suddenly thrown together in a situation where, for once, neither of them can walk away. Wade’s been great at making excuses and Linny’s been fantastic about hiding his feelings. None of that works anymore.

Linden knows he wants Wade—he knew the night the possessive human carried him out of hell—but loving someone who can never return his feelings is stupid and Linden’s finished with that. Wade’s never been attracted to a man before and perhaps it’s not desire or lust, but simply his protective instincts gone wild. If neither of them can be brave, there’s no hope for the future. But perhaps just winnowing through the mist of confusion down to the marrow where the truth lies will set them both free.


Trigger Warning: Discussion of repeated sexual abuse of a main character, including when he was a minor. No abuse occurs on page.


Title: Big 3
Series: Multiple Love, 1
Author: Stephanie Brother
Length: 236 pages

Genre: Romance / Contemporary / RH

Notes: This is my first Stephanie Brother's book, though I've seen them around for years. I will probably read more. I enjoyed the FMC, though I did expect them to get caught long before they did. It was a fun story and I picked up the next one in the series. I wonder if she writes paranormal?

Blurb: I didn’t know I had three ripped, gorgeous stepbrothers until I’d already crossed the mind-blowing line.

A sexy photoshoot is not supposed to end with the model showing me all of his best positions. Especially not so soon after my break up. After what my ex did, I’ve concluded that men aren’t worth my time or trust.

Except Mason is fun and sexy as hell. When he smiles, his dimples and blue eyes melt a little bit of the ice inside me, and when he takes his shirt off, well damn! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more sculpted body in real life.

I resist his flirtation until I’ve had a few drinks. Then my body silences my brain. It tells me that it’s time to have some fun. And it is.

Oh, it is.

More fun than I’ve ever had. More than I actually think I can bear.
But when I wake, Mason is gone, and I’m feeling sore in more ways than one. I bury the ache in my heart and head to my mom’s beach house for brunch and to meet my stepbrothers for the first time.
Coming face to face with Mason over coffee and bacon is humiliating enough. Finding out he’s an identical triplet and that there are now three sexy alpha-holes to avoid is three times the misery. It’s easy to think the worst of them, but Miller is as perceptive as he is gorgeous, and Max, with his tattoos and piercings, shows me just how protective a man can be.

They warm my heart and show me that there’s so much more to relationships than heartache until trouble rears its ugly head, and everything falls apart.

BIG 3 is a Reverse Harem Stepbrother Romance with a happy ever after ending. It's book 1 in the Multiple Love Series, standalone romances with characters who continue to make appearances!


Series: (Tales of the High Court Book 5)
Author: Megan Derr
Length: 437

Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Gay / Redemption Arc / 

Notes: After reading this series, I was dying to get into Chass's head. I already knew that I wasn't a fan of the parents and seeing them from this angle just sealed the deal. If I was Serica (I probably spelled that wrong) I would go all High King on the Queen of Gaulden. I find her just vile.

This doesn't skirt Chass's past actions with Alan but plows throw and he owns it and every other terrible thing he's done. This redemption arc is awesome. I wasn't sure about Desmond though there have been glimpses of his character through the series, you don't get any kind of vibes about him. I really liked him and these two together, absolutely.

On a side note, the world building in this is series is fantastic. The religion/pantheon details for the different countries is just... so much thought went into that and those detail gave this book a depth to the characters that pushed the story out of good into fantastic. 

Blurb: The youngest son of a despised king, thrust upon a throne he never wanted, Desmond nevertheless tried to be a good monarch to Benta. Despite his efforts, the rebels discontent with him and the alliance with the Harken Empire have taken control, and Desmond's private guards are either dead or turned traitor. On the verge of being executed, Desmond gets an unexpected rescue from Harken, in the form of the fearsome Penance Gate mercenaries and the beautiful, brutal man who leads them.

Beneath the shining edifice of every empire is a foundation of violence and pain, and Chass has always done his duty to Harken by being the bastard who endures and metes out both. He is used to being hated, and does not deny he deserves it. But in the aftermath of rescuing the enchanting, compelling Desmond, he wishes more than ever that he could be the noble hero just once, instead of the monster good only for spreading terror.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment