Friday, April 1, 2022

What's on the Reading Radar? #read #TBR #WishList

It's sort of weird that it's already April, but I love how the weather is warming up. I'm looking forward to outdoor activities, even if it's just sitting in a chair on the porch. :)

So, I have a lot to say about a series that I've been reading. If you've seen the last two Radars, you already know which one I'm talking about. If you haven't and are curious, here are a couple of quick links to the posts. Last week. The week before that.

I was going to talk about both the books under the notes of one, but decided against that because I don't want there to be confusion.

Title: Capture
Series: Shattered Pawns, 2
Author: Jennifer Cody
Length: 307 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Pantheons & Gods / S&M (see triggers at the end of the blurb) / Gay

Notes: I have to admit, I was a little worried going into this, and it mainly had to do with the S&M and the complete power exchange. Qis has spent three years in Erroll's tender care. In the first book of the series, Tio hurries to free his brother after Erroll is dealt with, so you know what state Qis was found in and it pulls at all the heart strings. I'm not an S&M expert but I've read it a few times and I feel that how these two eased into their relationship was believable for these two characters. I wasn't really sure how much I would like Monet, but I grew into him. Now, full disclosure, I did skip all sex scenes and any S&M play they had which were not short scenes whatsoever (LOLOLOL) but skipping that did not hinder the flow or understanding of the plot, which was insanely crazy in all the best ways. (At least for me.) Loved it. The plot is what keeps bringing me back even when I'm not keen on other parts of the story. There is a sort of cliffhanger-but-not, at the end. It made me glad that the next book was already out or I'd urge you to just skip the last two pages.  

Blurb: Monet:


Qis is everything I have ever desired in a mate. The lovely little snake shifter ticks all my boxes: the ones that make me want to wrap him up in a warm blanket and the ones that make me want to blanket him myself. I’d love to bathe in the ache of his tortured soul. His emotional pain calls to the most basic desires I have. What I want—no, what I need more than anything else is to take care of him. I’m going to connect with him; I’m going to make him feel his pain and learn to love it. I’ll shatter him from the inside out and then put the pieces back together just the way he needs them.

War is coming to Houston, and I’m the man Fate sent to defend the city. Who better than an Ouroboros to stand by my side?


Qis:

Meeting Monet forces me to look in the mirror, but all I see is a stranger. Not just the person on the inside; the man on the outside is just as foreign. I don’t know if I trust him as much as he wants me to, but giving him my heart, soul, and body isn’t a choice. The Fates have woven our strings together, and they don’t seem to care how weird that is. He shatters me and feeds my soul, but time is running out on us.

My father is bringing war to Houston, and Monet has to be there. I may not know how I can help, but I’ll stand by his side to the end and devour anyone that gets in my way.

Capture is a continuation of the story begun in Pass: Shattered Pawns Book One. This is not a standalone. Expect to uncover more of the overarching plot centered around a war between the gods, plenty of flaming hot scenes between a Dom and his sub, and find out the reason Qis is the favorite brother.


Trigger Warning:


Human readers:

This book contains fictional scenes of torture, physical and psychological trauma, and actions that humans consider war crimes. It also depicts a loving, healing, consensual, fulltime complete power exchange D/s relationship involving sadomasochism, including things such as knife and blood play and biting. If you are concerned about any of these, please proceed with caution.


Non-human readers:


This book contains scenes of war time actions, as well as standard, consensual, primal mating behaviors between an Ouroboros and a Serap
h.


Title: Promote
Series: Shattered Pawns, 2
Author: Jennifer Cody
Length: 471 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Pantheons & Gods / Dominance/submission / Spanking / Age Gap / Gay

Notes: I went into this thinking this was the last book in the series. It isn't and I didn't know this until I got to the end and read the author's note. Dude! That aside, I enjoyed this pairing much more than anticipated. I'd grown to like Kim and Ryan became interesting in book two. I have to say that I really, really liked Ryan. At one point I wondered if I would have to suspend disbelief since he was just under 19 and a Dom, but it just worked for him. I also really enjoyed that Kim didn't have to change, his monotone delivery wasn't 'cured'. Again with the sex, I only read a couple of the scenes and everything flowed fine before and after the skipped ones.

At the end of this, the author gives you a glimpse into the future to reassure the reader that things will work out fine, even with the multiple WTFs that came in the chapter before. I think the last book will be out this summer. So this isn't the last time you'll hear me talk about this series. It's a wild, wild ride with lots of moving parts and really powerful individuals who, if they get their act together can save the universe.

Would I recommend this series? Yeah, I would and remind you that you need to start with the Diviner's Game series. Even if you're like me and not enthusiastic about some parts, they can be skipped/skimmed. The overall story is well worth it. 

Blurb: Kim:

Overseeing the Houston Hub of the Non-human Community comes with challenges I couldn’t have predicted even if I’d bothered looking into my own future. Pixies and gods are dropping all around me, and trying to pin down the person responsible is giving me a headache. When Ryan Reinhardt barrels into my life, I’m too busy and too distracted to give in to his flirting, but Ryan’s not the type to let me ignore him. No matter what else is happening, Ryan can turn every eye toward him–if that’s what he wants. He’s personable, charismatic, and fun–everything I’m not, but for some reason, Fate has chosen me for him. Fear isn’t an emotion I’m very familiar with, but mating Ryan? That scares me more than the Diviner trying to turn Houston to rubble.

Ryan:

It takes me less than a day to turn the non-human community on its head. Scratch that, I have this community jumping to obey within four hours. I didn’t mean to target their overseer; I had no intention of getting involved at all, but the moment I laid eyes on Kim Marduke, I knew he was the one for me. Fated mates; it’s a non-human thing apparently. I may not have planned to become the queen of Houston, but I’m nothing if not adaptable. Fighting against an insane Diviner might get us all killed, but fighting for him to preserve my mate bond? Well, I can’t complain if I don’t exist. The Void is calling, and we’re all going to answer the summons.

This is NOT A STANDALONE and it has a not-really-a-cliffhanger ending. This book is the third book of the Shattered Pawns series and should be read in order. This is an MM paranormal romance with BDSM themes between consenting adult partners with a significant age-gap. Triggers include one scene of religious homophobia, very mild violence against a homosexual teen, and war.

Series: The Valen's Legacy, 1
Author: Jan Stryvant
Length: 224 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Polyamory

Notes: #reading This was suggested to me earlier in the week and so far, I'm really enjoying it. There are 18 books to the series so I don't have to worry about when the next one will release. I've read the blurb on a few and this seems like it will be fun. :)

Blurb: In his junior year at college, studying for his computer science degree, the only things on Sean's mind are doing his homework and getting out of college to get a real job and finally escape the utter poverty he's lived in since his father was killed in an industrial accident when Sean was only eight years old. A gamer and a bit of a nerd, Sean's philosophy in life has been to keep his head down and get his work done, he doesn't have the time or money for anything more.

But when a failed kidnapping attempt leaves him with a gaping hole in his memory, his oldest friend dead, and his mother missing, Sean suddenly finds his whole world turned upside down as he's suddenly thrust into the hidden world of magic and the supernatural. Apparently he's now wanted, dead or alive, by all of the magical societies, though he has no idea why. About the only thing going for him is what his friend did for him just before he died, and the cute track star that lives in the room next to his, that has suddenly taken a very personal interest in his problems.

WARNING: "Black Friday" contains explicit sexuality, nudity, violence, bad language, attempted murder, actual murder, self-defense, pro-active self-defense, destruction of private property, arson, tantric magic, polyamory, mayhem, gratuitous sex and violence, littering, jay-walking, firearms, a racist goblin, an honest lawyer, and a kindly old gossip who likes to give cookies to kids.


Title: Spark Fate
Series: The Shifting Fate series, 1
Author: Tessa Hale
Length: 264 pg

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / RH

Notes: In a RH book group, I asked for recommendations. (copy of what I requested below) And I was told this matched my requestion 100%. I guess we'll see! #TBR

"Whatcha got for grim reaper harems or perhaps necromancers!

Good with MM or FF in the harem
Don't care how many there are
Love cinnamon rolls and caregivers are a plus
Love me a good plot.

No noncon or dubcon or BDSM
Not too much angst
No bully"

Blurb: It was supposed to be a fresh start. A completely blank slate in a place where no one knew about the tragedy that ripped her family apart six months ago. A tragedy Rowan can’t help but blame herself for.

Now the only thing she wants is to blend in. To escape the house that has become more like a prison. Her new school is her only hope. Somewhere she can pretend she’s just like everyone else.

Only Rowan doesn’t realize how unique she is. Holden is the first to recognize it, but he’s not the last.

Rowan can’t explain the draw she feels to the guys who have found their way into her life. The way something seems to spark the first moment she touches each of them. How it almost hurts to walk away from them at the end of each day.

Things are changing, from the ripple of power humming just below her skin to this new family she’s finding herself a part of. But not all of the changes are good.

Someone doesn’t like the power Rowan is stepping into or the bonds she’s forming with the guys who have gifts as rare and strong as her own. And when the truth is revealed, it has the power to burn everything in its wake…

**Book one in a continuing three-book series. A reverse harem, why choose romance. Think fated mates, a heroine who has no idea just how special she is, broody, swoony, crazy protective heroes, and a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat.**

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment