Friday, August 28, 2020

What's on the Reading Radar? #read #TBR #WishList

 This week blew by. Sick husband. Sick dog. Husband is meh and my dog is not eating much, which is worrying. Unpacking and an attempt to prime a room before the weekend rains. There is still a lot to unpack and the room that is going to be my office is what is going to be painted if I can get through the stinky primer. It's an oil primer so I opened both winds and turned on a fan. I'm not quite half done. I was chased away by the fumes. I'm not sad by I am wearing paint today. :)

Today's list is mostly what I've read this week, which has been a lot. I think there is only one on the list that I haven't read but I put on the wish list this week. LOL!


Title: Demons Do It Better
Series: Hidden Species, 1
Author: Louisa Masters
Length: 254 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Urban Fantasy / Gay

Notes: Loved this book. It was fun, the world was great, the characters distinctive and endearing. Definitely a reread and I would totally buy it on audio, too.

Blurb:I work for Lucifer. Only, it’s not as cool and satanic as it sounds.

The truth is, I’m an admin assistant who applied for a job that sounded kind of interesting and ended up working for the Community of Species Government. I’m the only human in the office, and basically I ride herd on a team of rambunctious shifters and demons.

I also spend a lot of time avoiding Gideon Bailey, the demon I had a one-night stand with right before I took this job. He hates me, and I really want to avoid being murdered. But I’ve been offered a promotion that will mean working with him, so we’re both going to have to get over it.

Plus, people are going missing. Pregnant people. And the word is that someone is dabbling in genetic experimentation. Putting a stop to that is more important than the sexual tension Gideon and I have been ignoring… isn’t it?

Title: Monster Whisper
Series: My Beautiful Monsters, 1
Author: JB Trepanier
Length: 181 pages

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Greek Myths / Fantasy / RH / FF / MFM? / 

Notes: I was looking for something else when I came across this and the blurb made me curious. Demeter has done something unthinkable and Hades needs the FMC's help It is labeled as dark and I would assign that to the violence. The interactions between the all MCs is sweet and/or funny. I really enjoyed the book and am waiting for the next one to release on Saturday. Though I feel I should warn it sorta just stops. It feels like a cliffhanger but technically isn't.

Blurb: My clients at my vet clinic have always called me an animal whisperer. I’ve never questioned it. Until I started hearing monsters too.

A man came in right at closing with a sick dog. The dog told me why he was sick and I was able to treat him. I had no idea his owner would kidnap me. I had no idea his owner had an entire dungeon of monsters he wanted me to treat. I’ve met a minotaur, a mysterious kraken, a phoenix, and this really massive spider.

I can hear them too. If monsters are real and I can talk to them, then what am I?

Title: Talos
Series: Bloodlines of Fate, 1
Author: A. G. Carothers
Length:

Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Supernatural Beings / Vampires / Enemies to Lovers / Fated Mates / Mpreg / Gay /

Notes: This one comes out on September 8th

Blurb: The Age of Man has passed, and a new age is upon the Earth. An age of magic and technology ruled by the supernatural beings that once hid amongst humanity has begun.

Talos - Vampyr King, Supernatural Council Member, and Despiser of Humans. Fate has a surprise up their sleeve for him.

Bayne - Raised by the human resistance, Would-be Assassin, and Despiser of Supernatural Beings. He's ready to sacrifice himself to kill his enemy.

Bayne is thrust into a world he thinks he knows but quickly discovers his whole life has been built on lies. Talos, perfectly happy ruling his corner of the world, is faced with an unexpected and unwelcome change that comes with the mate chosen by Fate. Together they must discover how to live and, in the end, love one another. But will Fate have more in store for them than just learning to love the species they hate?

Bloodlines of Fate is a new urban fantasy series set in a world destroyed by humans and resurrected by supernatural beings. Fate has many plans for the vampires, fae, unicorns, therianthropes, and humans of this new world. While their mates may be fated, love isn't that easy.

This book contains depictions of gladiatorial combat, snarky fem twinks who will cut you, kings in stilettos, and awkward heats with a pinch of daddy kink.

Talos is part one of a two part story arch. It does end in an HFN with a HEA tied into the second part. This is a type of omegaverse with mpreg.

Title: Don't Cheat Me
Series: Nora Jacobs
Author: Jackie May

Length: 298 pages

Genre: Romantic Elements / Urban Fantasy / Paranormal / Slow Burn RH / 

Notes: So when the blurb says slow burn, the burn is so slow that you begin to wonder if the romance side of the story is going to anywhere before the series ends. But I honestly didn't mind. I was invested in the mystery of what Nora is. I had my suspicions, got impatient and read the blurb to the next book and had a hissy fit because it labeled her as Fey. I walked around the house yelling it was a cop-out. She was not fey! I was so sure I knew what she was. But something to remember, in this universe, fey covers a wide range of being. And I was not wrong. :) I am ready for her to start romancing some of her inner circle though. Great series so far.

Blurb: One month after Nora's violent induction to the dangerous supernatural side of Detroit, she's finally settling into her new life as the underworld's token human. All she wants to do is mind her own business, enjoy her new friends, and stay safe. But that's easier said than done when she's such an enigma to everyone around her.

Thanks to her unique psychic abilities, she's garnered a reputation for being mysterious and powerful. When the alpha of a local werewolf pack asks her to help him figure out who is stealing from him, she can't say no, even though getting involved in pack business could have deadly repercussions.

While tangled up in a heap of werewolf troubles, Nora can't quite shake her old vampire problem, either. Henry is practically stalking her, Parker is breaking down the walls around her heart, and Nora's blatant fear of the blood-sucking monsters is a delicious temptation for the natural predators.

Nora's succubus friend, Cecile, believes throwing her a "coming out" party into underworld society is the best way to solve all of her problems. Nora disagrees. If the vampires and werewolves don't kill her, Cecile's party planning definitely will.

* This is book 2 in the Nora Jacobs series and should be read after book 1. It is a slow burn reverse harem series.

Title: The Quarry Master
Series: A Grumpy Alien Boss Romantic Comedy
Author: Amanda Milo
Length: 452 pages

Genre: Romance / Slow Burn / Sci-Fi / Aliens

Notes: This is a standalone in her Stolen By An Alien universe. I sorta squeeed when I found it surfing the internet on Thursday and I'm about half way through. No action adventure in this one, purely character driven and I'm love'n every minute. 

Blurb: 

BASH: I dislike people.

I despise humans.

A cruel mandate from one of my region's rulers has saddled me with a slew of little alien humans: I'm to put them to work.

One problem?

I run a rock quarry, where humans’ thin skin is a detriment to productivity.

Overseeing these humans is like trying to herd yanaks. If I don't burn, beat, or strangle them to death by the day's end, it will be a miracle.

ISLA:

I can tell the boss likes me, because I'm not dead. Bash is abrasive and acerbic, like some sort of alien love child between Michael Caine and Miss Hannigan. And maybe Ebenezer Scrooge. Bash is a little… anti-human race.

But he’s not all bad. Sure, he's a little growly and he sets things on fire when he gets mad, but even villains need a friend. And here? Bash is everybody's villain.
Everybody’s but mine.

Warning: This book is the slowest of slow burns. It's a 127K story with the personal puzzle parts not snapping together until the last stretch of the book. If you want to sink your teeth into a romance that hits the fireworks level fast, skip on this one. But if you want a sweet slow burn, then this one might be the book for you. (Especially if you love super grouchy heroes with big horns and bigger attitudes.)


Title: A Message from the Home Office
Series: 
Author: Angel Martinez
Length: 109 pages

Genre: Romance / Sci-Fi / Gay

Notes: This was a fun and sweet story. I wasn't so sure about the assistant when he arrived, but as the story unfolded, I started rooting for them. :) I can't wait to get my hands on the next IMP Universe story. 

Blurb: Sissal Naganos, cobra yervath and diplomat banished to the hinterlands, didn't ask for an assistant, and he certainly didn't ask for such an annoying one.

Being an OIL (Onsite Inter-species Liaison) for the Interplanetary Multispecies Pact has never been an easy job. In fact it's a crap job when stuck on a backwater nowhere planet like Earth.

But cobra Yervath Sissal Naganos manages. The demotion was swift and heavy-handed, but he'll climb back out of this hell eventually. Humans don't meet his social needs, so, yes, it's been lonely and he tells himself he likes the solitude. That is, until IMP sends him an irritating new assistant he never asked for. Now his peace is well and truly disturbed and his paranoid diplomatic reflexes have reawakened. The worst part is the kid didn't have to be so cute.

IMP UNIVERSE
A Christmas Cactus for the General by Angel Martinez
A Message from the Home Office by Angel Martinez
The Nut Job by Freddy MacKay

Publisher's Note
A Message from the Home was previously published as part of the anthology, Foolish Encounters: A Rainbow Gold Anthology, as a short story. It has undergone extensive rewrites and edits with over 6,000 words of new content added.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment