Saturday, January 18, 2020

What's on the Reading Radar? #TBR #WishList

Sorry I missed last Saturday's Reading Radar. It's been a bit hectic around here (ALL the edits that I want have a bonfire in the backyard with) and I've been a bit scattered. 

I haven't been reading a lot the last couple of weeks (points to the line above), but there has been a book or two and much adding to the TRB or Wish List. 

Title: All The Prince's Men
Series: 
Author: Samantha MacLeod
Length: 73 pages

Genre: Fantasy / Poly / Gay

Notes: This is waiting for me to read.

Blurb: When Prince Liam returns to his kingdom after five years of training at the magical Academy, he’s only missed one person: Cerdec, the boy who had once been Liam’s closest childhood friend. But Cerdec is now a knight pledged to protect the kingdom, and Liam fears his one-time confidant has forgotten their stolen moments of tenderness.

Newly-sworn knight Cerdec has had no shortage of lovers since Liam left the kingdom, but he’s never felt as close to them as he once felt to the prince. Now that Liam has returned, Cerdec is prepared to serve as his personal guard, even if the position torments him with a longing he’s terrified to voice.

And even if it means he must welcome and protect the foreign princess who has been betrothed to Liam.

* * * *

This steamy, polyamorous fantasy romance is a short stand-alone with a HEA.



Title: Conspiracy of Ravens
Series: Raven Crawford, 1
Author: JC McKenzie
Length: 399 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Notes: Confession: I sometimes buy books because I like the cover (and then later, I hope that I like it). I've been resisting the urge because I have a slew of books that I bought because I like the looks and couldn't get into the story. I've been really good the last year not to do that anymore. Then this one keeps popping up. I love ravens and crows. The blurb sounds intriguing (and I'm envious of the succinctness), but I'm going to have to see if the sample tells me more. 

Blurb: Raven Crawford knows better than to venture into the seductive world of the dark fae or agree to any of their salacious promises. She plans to pay off her debts so she can get on with her life and stay far away from the denizens of the Underworld.

Unfortunately, her numbskull twin steals from the most tempting and lethal fae of them all. Now, Raven must help the Lord of Shadows get back what her idiot brother stole. Her only weapons? Just a little ingenuity and a whole lot of snark. It’s suicide for sure, but she’ll do anything to protect her twin.



Title: Not a Werewolf
Series: Jake and Boo, 1
Author: Madeline Kirby
Length: 219 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy / Psychic / Gay

Notes: I noticed this one at the Rainbow Awards and put it on my TRB list. It sounds really fun, like a cozy mystery, and angst free.

Blurb: When perpetual student Jake Hillebrand starts having strange dreams, no theory is too outlandish - even the possibility that he has become a werewolf. His best friend Don is no help, though – he doesn’t even believe in werewolves!

When the dreams lead Jake and Don to the body of a despised developer dumped along a Houston bayou, the only ones listening to Jake's theories are the dishy Detective Ruben Petreski and Jake's feline visitor, Boo.

In a historic neighborhood under threat from developers, everyone is a suspect, but so far all Jake's new-found psychic abilities seem to be good for is finding kittens and talking to squirrels. He's really going to have to up his game if he wants to escape the killer's attention - and catch Detective Petreski's.

Note: Contains excessive caffeine intake, cats, irritable detectives, lots of carbs, and no werewolves.



Title: Return of the Dwarf King
Series: The Adventures of Finnegan Dragonbender, 1
Author: Charley Case
Length: 233 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Notes: I picked up the sample of this because I'm highly intrigued with a dwarf as the MC and hero. If I like the writing style and the first pages grab me, I'll definitely get it.

Blurb: A broken ship. A missing friend. A whole new world of magical artifacts for the taking. A cosmic vacation for our intrepid treasure hunter.

After years of searching Finn has finally found the motherload. Unfortunately, there’s no way to get it home. And he’s got to meet John Wayne.

Stranded and alone in Denver, Colorado, Finn and his partner Penny (a foot and a half long Faerie Dragon) search for friends and allies in this strange new land.

But something about this place isn’t right. Magic has gone underground, and has anyone seen John Wayne?

Lucky for Finn he’s a Dwarf, and underground is where he does his best work.

Join Finn, Penny and their new friends on an adventure that spans the globe and holds the fate of an entire planet in its twists and turns.

And just maybe a tall Dwarf and a small dragon can find their place in the universe.




Title: Dead Eye
Series: Tiger's Eye Mystery
Author: Alyssa Day
Length: 279 pages

Genre: Cozy Mystery / Urban Fantasy / #read

Notes: This one I did read. It lured me in with, "If you are a Sookie fan... humor..." I have been nostalgic, thinking about rereading the Stackhouse series and thought why not. I enjoyed the story, not as humorous as I was expecting, but I might be a hard sell when it comes to that. I thought they should have called for help earlier than they did, but that is not how the plot rolled. It is a spin-off of a Poseidon series. Never heard of it myself but I thought I would take a look at it. If they are real romancy, then they probably won't be for me.

Blurb: For Jack Shepherd, tiger shape-shifter and former soldier, life is heading for a dead end. Dead End, Florida, to be exact. When he learns that he inherited a combination pawn shop/private investigation agency from his favorite uncle, Jack’s first job is to solve his uncle’s murder. Because sometimes it takes a tiger’s eye to see the truth.

Tess Callahan, who owns half a pawn shop in the strangest town in Florida, didn't expect Jack to show up and be so very enticing. And exciting. And annoyingly over-protective. But when yet another dead body shows up on her doorstep, it's time to take action. And if she has to team up with a sexy tiger shape-shifter to do it, well, that's just a bonus.

Welcome to Dead End, Florida, where Bigfoot keeps a winter home. And welcome to the Tiger's Eye Mysteries!


This novel is a paranormal mystery with magic, shape shifters, humor, vampires, a taxidermied alligator, witches, gunshots, bad singing, Crazy Hormonal Town, terrible parking, the FBI, swamp commandos, tigers, special agents, flirting, belly laughs, comedy, humor, and a pawn shop.


Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment