Saturday, June 1, 2019

What's on the Reading Radar? #reading #TBR #WishList

What have I been doing this week? World Building, Writing, and Editing. That makes me think, "Welcome to the WWE wrestling association! Today we have--" Which, admittedly, sometimes writing is a little like wresting at times. And then when you're finished, the manuscript is laying in the middle of the ring and you're standing on the ropes, waving your fist in the air to celebrate your victory. I have not reached that point yet, but I can taste it. 

What have I been reading? I have been re-reading but I started some new books and stuck with them. 


Title: Knight's Fire 
Series: (Scales of Honor Book 1)
Author: SJ Himes
Length: 143 pages
Publisher:

Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Paranormal / Dragons & Knights / Gay /

Notes: I read this the day of release. <3 <3 Zephyr was Adorable and Gawain was awesome. Great read which I'm sure will be read over and over. 

Blurb: Stories tell of great fire-breathing beasts large as castles, fierce and deadly, capable of magicks that no human can match. The Kingdom of Kentaine once allied itself with the dragons of old, but eventually, the dragons were lost to time and fell into legend.

Sir Gawain, First Knight of the Realm, is tasked by his older sister the Queen to travel to the edges of their kingdom, where a beast is flaming villagers and has the locals ready to form a mob and hunt it down themselves. His mission is to find the dragon, stop the violence, and do what he needs to maintain the peace.

His journey puts him in the heart of a confrontation with the dragon, but instead of saving the villagers, it is the dragon that needs rescuing. Zephyr, a fire dragon and an escaped slave, needs protection, time to heal, and a chance at a life full of hope.
Gawain can do no less than offer his sword, his shield, and his heart. Evil is hunting Zephyr, and it will not stop until it has reclaimed its prize.

Beyond the legends lies the truth, and love, like fire, consumes everything it touches.

**Please note this is a novella of 38,330 words and is not a full-length novel.**




Title: How to Hire A Vampire Consultant
Series: 
Author: Hollis Shiloh
Length: 57 pages
Publisher:

Genre: Romance / Urban Fantasy / Paranormal / Gay

Notes: I have been looking for some shorter read and came across this one. It's on my weekend list. 

Blurb: Steve isn't used to being the responsible party. He's not even a real agent at the Paranormal Research Agency—he's here on parole. But right now, a lot of the PRA's people are missing, and Steve and the librarian might be the only ones who can save them. While she researches like her life depends on it, Steve's running around mopping up monstrous messes. He needs all the help he can get—even from a sassy vampire. Barnaby the vampire is kind of hot (for a twink), and not nearly as badass as he likes to think. Even if he did save Steve's life. Between the three of them, they might just have what it takes to save the day.

16,300 words - low heat
Themes: gay romance, paranormal, humor



Title: Azaran 
Series: (The Brotherhood of Ormarr Book 1)
Author: Jacki James
Length: 139 pages
Publisher:

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Gay / 

Notes: I started this last night and really like it so far.

Blurb: Azaran~I was born a dragon rider. A member of the Brotherhood of Ormarr, son of Cadmar, and the eldest of four sons. I was raised to defend the innocent and protect the secret of the dragons, but when I was eighteen, my parents were brutally murdered and the training and care of my brothers fell to me. My entire adult life has been spent helping my brothers grow into the strong, brave dragon riders they were born to be. Now that the youngest of my brothers is close to adulthood, the last thing I need is someone else to worry about—someone else to be responsible for. If only the handsome doctor fate had chosen for my mate wasn’t so perfect for me.

Toby~
AlI I ever wanted was to help people, that’s why I became a doctor, but I quickly learned that modern medicine was more about the all-mighty dollar and less about saving lives. It wasn’t long before I was doubting my life choices. A vacation to the ocean was supposed to leave me refreshed and ready to get back to work, but instead, I found myself pulled into a world I never knew existed. A world where dragons are real, men fight like medieval warriors, and my soulmate has his very own bat cave. Azaran thinks the last thing he needs is a mate to worry about. Good thing I don’t need anyone to take care of me. My sexy dragon rider, on the other hand, needs someone to take care of him, and I think I’m just the man to do it.

Azaran is the first book in The Brotherhood of Ormarr series. While each book focuses on a different couple, the overall story arc continues in the next installment. For maximum enjoyment, we suggest reading in order. Azaran is a m/m romance, and is recommended for adults 18 years and older.




Title: Deadly Sting 
Series: (Elemental Assassin Series Book 8)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Length: 404 pages
Publisher: Pocket Books (March 26, 2013)

Genre:

Notes: I wanted to catch up on the Spider series, but I don't own all of them so I'm reading them when I can afford the next book in the series. I usually listen to the audiobook while I'm doing other things, but I have to say I felt that this narration was dragged out. With 4 hours left, I pulled out the ebook and finished in half the time. I like dramatization but that was too much for me. And I didn't like Gin bemoaning Owen's absence. Prick. I'm all for her finding someone who understands who and what she is and accepts her as is. I am also not a fan of her taking responsibility for things that isn't hers to claim. It started with Selina and has overflowed into this book. I should probably write a review because I have a lot to say. 

Blurb: Red is definitely my color. Good thing, because in my line of work, I end up wearing it a lot. 

Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me— Gin Blanco, aka the Spider—it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’s priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place.

Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color.




Title: The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel
Series: 
Author: Larry N. Martin
Length: 200 pages
Publisher:

Genre: Fantasy 

Notes: I picked this up yesterday after I read Gail Martin's newsletter. I had been meaning to read Gail's other work she writes with her husband. This one is all him and it sounded fun. 

Blurb: A medieval fantasy with a party of adventurers all ready to make a name for themselves and earn some gold.

Tankards and Heroes is set in the city of Kortufan, where spies, assassins, mercenaries, arms dealers, rebels, smugglers, and informants do dirty deals dirt cheap.

The Poxy Dragon is a rough bar outside the worst part of the medieval Silk Road. It takes serious courage just to walk into the place, not only from its reputation but because of the rough clientele, questionable food, awful beer, and abysmal hygiene. Lots of taverns in Kortufan are home to ruffians and illegal dealings, but the Poxy Dragon is the proving ground for heroes - with a cemetery out back for the ones who don’t make the cut.

Lady Leota, the resident demigoddess at the Poxy Dragon, sends would-be heroes to different realms on quests. Once committed, there is no turning back, and if they want their reward, every party member must return through the portal – dead or alive.




Title: Encyclopedia of World Mythology
Series: 
Author: 
Length: 320 hard backed pages (this is surprisingly heavy compared to other books it's size)
Publisher: Parragon

Genre: Resource / Mythology / Encyclopedia /

Notes: This is out of print. I found mine at a used book store for $10. Amazon is selling this used for a crazy amount of $75. I would get online with Half-Price Books and see if they have a copy. They are networked with other resellers and you can often find out of print books through them for great prices.

Blurb: This is like many encyclopedias of world mythology. What I liked about this is that it covers more than the classical Greece, Roman, and Norse, but Ancient Near East, Egypt, China, Japan, Korea, India, Siberia and Arctic, Oceania, Mongolia, Tiber, Sri Lanka, Southeast Asia, Australia, Africa, The Caribbean, North-South-Central Americas. What I would like better is the mythology of the continent Africa broken down more. It's such a huge place with so many countries and cultures that it should have pages. 


Title: Between Points of Light
Series: 
Author: Lore Graham
Length: 109 pages
Publisher: Less Than Three Press, LLC (May 27, 2019)

Genre: Romance / Sci-Fi  / Gay

Notes:

Blurb: After years of uninspiring findings, Harlon's position on a survey ship has lost its appeal. Vaulting to unseen star systems to investigate their potential for mining and terraforming sounds exciting in theory, but in practice it's just another corporate job. His life outside of work isn't much better.

When the crew's astrobiologist quits, Harlon arrives for his mission to find that he knows the replacement, Dexter—from a recent one-night stand. As they begin their mission thousands of light years away from any colonized star system, Harlon tries to keep things professional, but Dexter has other ideas.




Title: The Dragon Mistress
Series: The Dragon Mistress book 2, 
(The Eburosi Chronicles 9)Author: RA Steffan
Length: 276 pages
Publisher: OtherLove Publishing, LLC (February 8, 2019)

Genre: Romance / Fantasy / Dragon Riders / Poly / 

Notes:

Blurb: The survival of the last living dragons rests with me and my misfit friends.

So… yeah. No pressure.

Mind you, this whole thing would be easier if two of our number weren’t hell-bent on killing each other. Rayth and Nyx have both been hiding secrets for a very long time, but now they face a choice. Let go of their ugly pasts, or watch the future burn to the ground.

We won’t be able to hide five hungry, growing dragons in the mountains forever. As soon as someone catches sight of them, every soldier in Utrea will be after us. And there’s no way we can fight for our dragons’ survival when we’re this busy fighting amongst ourselves.

I’ve always been the queen of questionable life choices, but falling for four proud, stubborn, damaged men at the same time is a new benchmark even for me. What we’re building with the dragons—and each other—could be amazing beyond belief. It could also end in tragedy beyond measure.

If I want it to be the former, it looks like I need to start banging some heads together.


Otherwise, our hopes and dreams could well go down in flames.




Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

2 comments: