Thursday, July 30, 2015

Playing Catch-Up With a Small Excerpt from Dragon's Eye (Sumeria's Sons, #5)

While Darksoul was out with beta readers last week, I began going through the edits for Dragon's Eye. It has been sitting on my computer patiently waiting for me since the beginning of July.

I was a little nervous about these edits because 1) it's not a re-release and so the edits wouldn't be as easy as the first four books in the series. 2) This is the first story I wrote after my father passed and I remember crying all of the time while I wrote the first half. I also remember that it was hard for me to put words on the page but I made myself do it. Shoot I had conversations during that time, to this day I still don't recall them. For a combination of reasons, I began to wonder if I shouldn't have held onto the manuscript for a couple of months after I thought I was finished.

So unease was eating at me when I opened the manuscript and started going through the editor's comments. Last month I reworked and extensively extended Ruby Red Booty Shorts and A Louisville Slugger. I feared I'd find the some of the same problems here. With the way my summer was going I wasn't going to discount anything.

But it seems that Chapter 4 is the problem child and that is where I've spent the last several days. Lots of confusion and the order of events that gave important information was screwy. I ended up extending the chapter to fix all of the problems and I think I have it taken care of. I passed over into Chapter 5 yesterday, so with luck the rest will be smoother to go through.

I'm not happy with some of the writing in other sections. I hear that is a common author thing but it doesn't mean I have to like it. So I'm tweaking as I go along because really, sometimes I use twice the number of words to say something really simple. This annoys me and I need to break myself of the habit. ^_^

If you're wondering what the release date for Dragon's Eye will be, October 7th. The other day I got to peek at cover... very cool, you guys. Very cool.

So I'm going to cut my rambling off and leave you for a small excerpt from Dragon's Eye from Ushna's POV. Enjoy!

Tristan grappled with me trying to get away, and somehow, I knew if he escaped, he'd be lost to me. All the anger I'd packed away at the injustice of what happened—to Tristan, to our family; Theo's betrayal, false Twin Flames, assassins, even the unfairness of Brian's untimely death—all the rage that had been bubbling under the surface seethed within me at the thought of losing Tristan, after being so patient and working so hard to have him in my life.

Now, he walked a tightrope between his many lives, and even though Tiamat had returned him, I may yet still lose him to the insanity of the lives that had come before. When his parents had died, I waited to tell him that I loved him. I returned to college to finish my degree. After graduation, I arrived home only to discover he'd met his Twin Flame. I tried to be happy for him, for the gift he'd been given, but I scented he hadn't been claimed by Theo and watched how unhappy he steadily grew. I waited. Looking back, I should've stepped forward and fought for him then, but I believed they'd eventually balance out and I'd spend my life hating Theo for having what I wanted.

And yet, they hadn't balanced and Theo's actions had actually freed Tristan. I took him, barely alive and breathing, from Tribe Enkidu, from the family and people who didn't see him. No one did. Only me, it was only ever me—and perhaps Brian—who'd really seen Tristan. I became his anchor, his touchstone, taking care of him until he could do so himself.

Years. I spent years being patient, waiting, yearning, watching until the day he'd seen me. He finally claimed me, but really, I'd been his all along. Even at the beginning, believing Brian was my Twin Flame and that one day I'd claim him, he and I always spoke of making a life together with Tristan. Now I knew we were more than Twin Flames and someone had spent hundreds of years trying to keep us apart. Once again, here we were with one more thing attempting to put a wedge between us, only this time it was the memories of what once was.
*~*~*


Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want more!!! ~Crystal Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good Lexi. On one hand I am really looking forward to finding out what will happen.....On the other hand I don't want the story end........however I can always re-read them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona. Wrapping up the story in the last two books is really hard but the guys deserve their HEA. They are tired of me tormenting them. :)

      Delete