Friday, February 3, 2023

What's on the Reading Radar?

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for warmer weather. I need to bask in the sun and get some natural vitamin D. I've been cold here lately and if I had a sauna or hot tub, you'd find me in it 24-7, just sayin'. LOL

Reading had been alright this week. 

Series: 
Author: Jenn Burke
Length: 

Genre/Tropes: Romance / Sci-Fi / Alien /  Old Love / New Beginnings

Notes: I really enjoyed this story. It's told from Varuna's POV and I sympathized with him trying not to expect too much from Kerrick who he's loved for ages and thinks can do better. There's a brief mystery that leads some deeper revelations. Would definitely recommend. 

Blurb: Space station cop Varuna Das is different. He’s half-human, half-dimeti, and the mix of DNA has had some interesting consequences…like a tail he does his best to keep hidden. Well into middle age, he’s used to being treated badly because of his looks, and as much as he hates it, he understands it. Humans and dimeti just finished a twenty-year war, after all.

What he doesn’t understand is why Major Kerrick StarCourser, a young, beautiful war hero, keeps coming back to him for no-strings sexy fun. Or why Kerrick’s suddenly shown up, bruised and battered, just as Varuna transfers to Shard Hills, a small town on a nearby planet, to take over as sheriff. Kerrick doesn’t show any sign of leaving this time, settling into Varuna’s new home and cooking up a storm. It’s as though he was never a special forces officer.

Confused as he is, Varuna loves having Kerrick there. His life in Shard Hills is shaping up to provide everything he’s ever wanted: a home, a purpose, a family. But when Varuna’s dark past catches up to him, will Kerrick’s heroic integrity let him forgive and forget…and stay?

The Sheriff of Shard Hills is a 30,000 word novella with a middle-aged, half-alien cop who doesn’t see his own value, a young, fem war hero who does, and a happily ever after. Once the shooting stops, of course.

Title: Reject Me
Series: Immortal Vices & Virtues, 1
Author(s): Kel Carpenter, Aurelia Jane 
Length: 532 pages

Genre/Tropes: Romance / Paranormal / Vampires / Shifters / Alternate Reality / 

Notes: When I went looking for (again) for something in the rejected mate trope I stumbled across this one and decided to give it a go. It is set in a shared universe so any of these can be read as standalones. I really enjoyed how Dannie was a different kind of paranormal and though it set her up to be an outcast, she had a strong sense of self that was admirable. When I'm looking for rejected mate books, I want what was given to me here, where the mate who was her childhood bully doesn't get a pass just because they are mates. I also liked how Dannie handled him throughout the whole book. There for a moment or two, I was afraid it was going to be MFM and though I like reading those, I needed Markus to remain rejected. Elias was a great love interest, flawed though he was. He sorta walked right into that reading of his fate, thinking he was going to outwit it. I also enjoyed Dannie's family and the LBGT inclusion represented there. If you enjoy reading MF PNR, I would recommend this. Good writing, interesting plot with a couple of twists. I'm definitely looking up this writing duo to see what else they have.

Blurb: “Markus Del Reyes, I reject you.”

He left me no choice.

I refuse to spend the rest of my life with my childhood bully for a mate. I may be a cursed shifter, incapable of shifting—but I wasn’t desperate.

Not till the Alpha Supreme cast me out of the House of Fire and Fluorite for rejecting his son.

Now I’m packless.
Homeless.
No longer under the protection of a House.

Until the dark vampire king of Blood and Beryl turns his sights on me.

In return for protection from my former House, I have to become his fake mate.
I'll be a queen and a fraud.

It's a treacherous lie to live—and I find myself forgetting what’s real and what’s not with every stolen touch and heated kiss we share. What starts as a business arrangement turns complicated when my heat hits, and the king insists on being the one to help me through it.

I’ve lost everything for doing what I know is right, but the greatest danger I ever faced was never losing my life … it was opening my cursed heart.

**Reject Me is a spicy standalone paranormal romance set in the Immortal Vices and Virtues Universe. Every book is a guaranteed happily ever after with a satisfying ending and no cliffhangers. Perfect for fans of Immortals After Dark, Black Dagger Brotherhood, and the Demonica series.**

Title: Cair 
Series: Veiled City, 1
Author: Eryn Hawk
Length: 331 pages

Genre/Tropes: Romance / Alternate World / Paranormal / Gay 

Notes: I just started this one but I'm enjoying it so far. The world is one that knows about the fae who live in a part of the city around the portal between worlds. It seems that the fae and humans don't mix too much, but I'm not that far in yet. Not much else to say yet since I'm only at the part where Luca is starting his job for Cair. I do think that plot for this book wraps up here because the name on the next book belongs to Cair's brother. 

Blurb: Twenty-five-year-old Luca Elliot lives in a city divided. The humans and the supernaturals mostly keep to their own kind, but Luca—curious and desperate for work—crosses the border and finds himself employed by a tall, stupidly handsome Fae with killer horns. He should be intimidated, but instead, Luca is utterly captivated. Falling for the boss is a bad idea though, right?

Cair Haryk is only a visitor to the human world and, between his position in the Fae kingdom and a bargain he made years ago, he can never remain. He's content with that until he meets Luca—his soulmate—and hires him to work in his high-end lounge. Cair tries to guard his heart, but fate has other plans and, despite his best intentions, he falls for the pretty little human. Hard.

Luca can't enter the Fae realm, and Cair’s time in the mortal lands is drawing to an end, so while the attraction between them is irresistible, their situation is impossible. They can't be together. It’s tragedy and heartbreak just waiting to happen.

Isn’t it?

CAIR is a MM paranormal romance with spice, size difference, and soulmates. It features a lovable human trying to find his place in the supernatural world, and a secretive Fae who's not as detached as he pretends to be. This is the first book in the Veiled City series.

If you want to know more about this story's tropes, kinks and warnings, visit my Instagram (authorerynhawk) for a full content list.

Series: The Den, 1
Author: Juniper Cole
Length: 252 pages

Genre/Tropes: Romance / Paranormal / UF? / Polyamorous / 

Notes: 

Blurb: Foster can’t explain the changes in his body that started when he escaped his abusive ex. Despite the eerie feeling that he’s being watched, he forces himself to leave his apartment after a month of hiding. To his surprise, his distracted wandering leads him to the Den, a night club unlike any he has ever been to.

Calix has never felt more trapped. With a boss that constantly makes inappropriate comments and magic he can’t control, the stress drives him to The Den, a perfect place to lose himself in pleasure.

Boaz thought it was going to be another boring night guarding the hellgate beneath his club until he spots two beautiful men dancing the night away. The moment their scents hit his nose, he knows that everything is about to change.

When unexpected dangers shake the foundation of their newfound love, the men must decide how much they’re willing to sacrifice to fight for their love, and their world.

Den of Escape is a paranormal romance about three men falling in love. It is the first book in The Den series, which will follow a new couple in every book. It can be read as a standalone though characters will make appearances in later books so they are better read in order. It contains explicit content, graphic language and situations some readers may find uncomfortable. For a more detailed description please check the content guide inside the novel.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment