Saturday, January 28, 2023

What's on the Reading Radar? #read

How's your week going? Mine always see to be going fast. Trying to make friends with one of the flocks of crows that sweep through the neighborhood once a week. 

This is being posted on Sunday instead of Saturday simply because my writing week got in the way of blogging, which I'm not complaining about. So I decided I would create the post late. It's short too, with only books that I read this week in between searching through the rejected mate trope for a plot I want to read. Still searching... 

Series:
Author: Megan Derr
Length: 192 pages

Genre/Trope: Romance / Fantasy / Gay / Poly / 

Notes: This hit the spot. Grumpy character, sunny character, bickering, political intrigue, and occupations you don't normally see. I really enjoyed the story and was really happy with how things turned out. 

Blurb: Tashi is a body catcher, paid by inhabitants of the poor districts of Ossiri City to dispose of inconvenient corpses. The fewer questions he asks about them, the happier everyone tends to be. It's not an easy life, and the money isn't great, but it's better than the life he led when he was first thrown out on the streets with nothing but the clothes he was wearing.

Then a colleague asks him to help with the bodies of a woman and babe who died in the birthing. Not just any woman and child, either, but a royal princess and her secret bastard. Though he wants no part of the mess, Tashi agrees, and finds himself facing his past and enough trouble to kill him and anyone stupid enough to help him.


Series: (Murder Sprees and Mute Decrees Book 3)
Author: Jennifer Cody
Length: 189 pages

Genre/Trope: Romance / Urban Fantasy / Poly / Ace Spectrum Character / Sunshine Character / Grumpy Guts Character / Puppy Pile Cuddles / Found Family / Consent and Acceptance Galore / 

Notes: I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. If you have questions about Edovard, read the author's forward for the thorough and no-spoilery heads-up. I thought this was pretty much perfect and I loved every minute of it. Edovard is a delight and I loved seeing the world through his eyes. He's sweet and naïve and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Highly recommend!

Blurb:

Edovard:

Um…I was told I’m supposed to summarize my story here, but recently I’ve learned that blurbs are hard so I’m not sure what to say.

My name is Edovard Durand Folange. I’m twenty seven years old from Fresno, California, and recently I moved across the country to live with my new parents and brother. Oppa kills people for a living, and Papa is his announcer guy, and my brother is like his assistant, and I guess it turns out I’m the person the magic tells who needs to die—it’s called being an Augur. I don’t really know what that word means, but even though it’s scary, I’m getting used to it.

It’s nice to have a job, but Santanos (he’s the Avatar of Evil) offered me a second job, and I’m really excited about that because I get to work with him and help him fix the minions. A lot of them aren’t doing very well, so my second job is to make sure that everyone gets as much love as they need in their lives. Sometimes that means killing people who are stealing all the love away from them. I guess maybe I’m a little evil too, because I don’t mind letting Oppa kill those people to save the minions.

The Trouble with Trying to Love a Hellion is a 52k MM+ paranormal romance, featuring a cinnamon roll narrator with more than the usual amount of love to give and a sultry incubus who happens to be the Avatar of Evil. If the minions are especially affectionate with the cinnabun, well, who can blame them when he’s the best cuddler they’ve ever met?


Contents include: blood, viscera, someone dies because they call Edovard dumb, and Edovard accidentally creates a polycule, but that’s ok because he’s just making sure everyone gets enough love to be emotionally healthy.



Series:
Author: Amanda Milo
Length: 4 hrs 44 min

Genre/Trope: Romance / Sci-Fi / Aliens / Beauty & the Beast

Notes: So this has been on my TBR for a while. Contagion is the second book in this series and follows the friend from this one, so I knew a little about what went on as well as the side character. When it came out on audio, I gave it a go and oh man, some places were hilarious. It also made me want to reread Contagion (which is one of my all time favorite rereads) another read. Would definitely recommend.

Blurb: The people of my planet are under a devastating genetic curse. To treat the disease’s effects, we’ve turned to cultivating a rare flower. That’s my occupation: raising and studying this flower. That’s precisely what I’m doing the daycycle that an alien drops into our research plot, approaches our plant….

And cuts my flower’s head off, stealing the bloom.

Note: This 37K standalone story is intended for listeners 18+ due to romantic elements. There is no cheating. There is a happily ever after, because this is a sci-fi retelling of Beauty and the Beast--you have to have an HEA. (There is, however, no singing cutlery.)

Important Note II: No unicorns were harmed in the making of this story.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment