Friday, January 8, 2021

2020 Favorite Books #read #2020favoritereads

2020 was a heavy (heavy) rereading year for me and there were times that I would finish the reread only to turn around and start at the beginning again. I honestly didn't think that I would have many new favorites. I'm glad I double checked before I decided to skip this end-of-year post. This is an eclectic list since I read lots of different things and it is in no particular order. What were your favorite 2020 books?


Series: RELIC #1
Author: Maz Maddox

My thoughts: This is my first book by Maz and I LOVED it. Lonely, nerdy guy in possession of a fossil that two different parties, a ruthless cartel and a pink mohawk dinosaur shifter who loves tourist traps, who want to claim by any means necessary.

There is a lot that I loved about this book. The writing was fresh and engaging. There wasn't a dull moment and I rooted hard for Dalton and Simon. I will be grabbing up the next book that comes out without even reading the blurb and I have designs on buying the paperback for my overflowing shelf. :) And I just noticed it is out on AUDIO on January 12th. Mine! Mine! Mine!

Title: Finch
Series: Forbidden Desires series
Author: Virginia Kelly & Piper Scott

My thoughts: I have loved this series from book one. Each Drake and their love interests have been vastly different, keeping the stories feeling fresh and exciting. I sort of did this hording thing where I bought and waited to read Swallow and Magpie. Both were great stories but there is a charm about Finch that endears the story to me. Hugh is described as whimsical, but he is also a bit clueless and so freaking Adorable. He so needs to a keeper and Finch is perfect for him. Of the series, this one is my absolute favorite. I didn't think that Bond would be knocked off that perch, but here we are with me cuddling Hugh and Finch as if they were my children. LOL

Series: Brimstone, 7
Author: Angel Martinez

My thoughts: What a fun and fantastic journey! I'm so sad that the series came to an end but everyone needed their HEA. This is a series that I will continue to re-read to visit my favorite characters. And maybe, hopefully, Angel will write another story, not with these characters but set in this world and we can get glimpses of a demon pirate gone legit.

Series: Alderbarian Alliance
Author: Dianne Duvall

My thoughts: I have been reading Duvall's Immortal Guardian series for a few years now. I found the series through my local library's audiobook catalog, and they are a fun twist on vampires, filled with action and suspense. I haven't read the last two books of that series, but I didn't need to to read this spin-off. I knew enough of the over-all plot and the characters to not be lost. Boy, I loved this book and have already reread it four times. I'm in the middle of the 5th because book 2 comes out this month (which I'm so freaking excited for!!!!!!) There is a mixture of the Immortals, Gifted Ones, and people from other planets. I'm in heaven.

Series: 
Author: Jacquelyn Faye

My thoughts: This is off the beaten track from other RH books. A succubus falls in love, has a couple of children and then her husband passes away. The beginning of this story is her coming out of mourning and starting a new life with her two teenage kids. It's a fun story line that still has a bit of action to it without skimping on the sexy times. I Love that it is angst free and it has turned into one of my rereads. I hope the author gives Kara another dilemma. I would love to see where she and her kids are at.

Series: (Polished P & P Book 1)
Author: Lila Rose

My thoughts: The book and Never A Saint are on my favorites list for 2020. I rarely read contemporary anymore and dithered about this, though I loved the cover and kept coming back to it. I'm glad I took a chance because it was a nice break. Both books have very little angst and were fun in different ways. They are spin-offs of Rose's MC series but they can be read as standalones. I'm hoping to see another book in this series. :)

Title: The Quarry MasterA Grumpy Alien Boss Romantic Comedy
Series:  (The Grumpy Heroes Book 1)
Author: Amanda Milo

My thoughts: This is set in Milo's Stolen by an Alien universe. Do you need to read the other books? Not really. If you do, you understand some of the side character nuances better, but this can stand by itself. And if you truly want a grumpy character this one will fit the bill. He is grumpy without being mean or cruel. He just wants to be left alone. The romance is slow burn, which is great because it was great getting to see the characters develop. He's still grumpy at the end of the book but not as much so. Loved it.

Series: Earth Fathers
Author: Lyn Gala

My thoughts: This is a fun series and continues with Max trying to make sure Rick is properly compensated for his work and finding out just how much he does not understand about the world he now lives in.  He's sorta of winging it, making his way, teaching the aliens that their ideas about humans are wrong, and it was fun to watch. The Kids! Gah! I can just see James waving his tentacles around shouting, "Just shoot them all!" I'm kinda of excited that we get to see Rick's homeworld in the next book.

Series: (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1)
Author: Alice Winters

My thoughts: This was a fun series to get into. There is humor, and admittedly, some of that humor is mean. It's supposed to be because the vampires don't like humans that much. There is a lot of bad blood between humans and vampires. But the story is about the vampires learning to like a human.


Series: 
Author: Amanda Milo

My thoughts: If you want something a bit different from the normal paranormal romance, then give this one a go. I'm trying to figure out what to say that won't give away the plot. Yikes. The romance is slow burn. Sexy times isn't until the end. There is a lot of humor and some really endearing moments. I loved how the pack is a mixture of canids, and the heirarchy in that is different too. Very refreshing as well as fun. And the kids! The youngest mad me laugh the most. I hope this goes to audio. 


Series: (Charybdis Station Book 2)
Author: CW Gray

My thoughts: All of the books in this series are some of my go-to rereads. They are angst free, fun, and full of kids and pets. Fire is one of my favorite characters and I was so happy that he got his mate and HEA. I loved that he didn't have to change who he was to have a family. He's so cute when he's trying to be stern. And being able to hear all the pets, that was totally cool. 

Series: (Tales of the High Court Book 3)
Author: Megan Derr

My thoughts: I snatched up the audiobook for this as soon as it came out. Tales of the High Court is one of my favorite series that I often reread. I love Kamir and how he fights to free himself from his dreadful family and that vile ex-husband. Michael Stellman does an excellent job narrating the story. <3

Series: (Casey Duncan Novels, Book 1)
Author: Kelley Armstrong

My thoughts: This past year, I went back and reread some books that I remember liking and found that I don't like them so much now. I didn't want to tempt fate with Armstrong's Otherworld series (which admittedly, I mainly read the series for the werewolves). Instead, I decided to try one of her newer series and really liked it. It's a mystery within a mystery with a bunch of flawed and/or damaged characters.

Series: Nora Jacobs, 1
Author: Jackie May

My thoughts: This is a slow (slow) burn romance series that has kept me guessing (and ranting). There is a wide range of magical characters that goes beyond the vampire shifter staple. Not only is the romance really slow, but each book uncovers something new about Nora as she helps others out. I'm not finished with the series yet but I have ideas. LOL


Series: Fae Out of Water, 1
Author: EJ Russell

My thoughts: This twist on Beauty and the Beast was both cute and fun. David is a walking disaster when it comes to his temp jobs and Alun is prejudice and grumpy, something that doesn't stick around for the whole story. When David did the Zombie-esque YMCA dance, I about laughed myself off the couch and had to stop the audiobook so I wouldn't miss anything. Great book.

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment