Friday, May 13, 2022

What's on the Reading Radar?

 What's Up? Nothing much here. Just a week that went by too fast and not fast enough. I'm sorely tempted to buy a couple of family sized bags of Doritos and just eat them in my back yard and bird watch. Weird, I know.



Title: Bad Blood
Series: (The Godbearer Book 1)
Author(s): L.C. Davis
Length: 336 pages

Genre: Romance / Friend to Enemies / Paranormal / Vampires /

Notes: So this was an unexpected surprise. The enemies to lovers trope (in this book its enemies with benefits out of necessity) isn't something that I normally read just because I'm a bit on the unforgiving side if they are truly enemies have done horrendous things to each other. This promised vengeance and I was hoping the MC would find something better. That last is not in the cards it seems but the devil in me loved the vengeance. I was like, "Oh, man, he is really going there." And I didn't blame him one bit. I kept reminding myself that this was supposed to be a romance, but I would have still kept reading it with glee if he demolished everything. I seem to be in a blood thirsty mood. There is no doubt about how he feels about these four. I know that there is going to be a redemption arc (I really wished the hunter for him, but is not to be, at least in this book) and you can see thread of it with a couple of characters but there are some major road blocks when it comes to betrayal, trust, and something else I can't say without giving away spoilers. 

Even though there is going to be a possible redemption (there should be lots of groveling & something huge to make up for what has happened) I'm going to read the next book. I absolutely loved the unforgiveness toward Alex (I mean, really loved and enjoyed every second of Alex being rebuffed and ignored. Imagine all the evil cackles coming from me--loved.) but that also means I probably won't like his redemption arc.

A plus in this story's favor is it's not an ABO world though there is mpreg.

I haven't read LC Davis before and I might look up their backlist to see what else they have. There is a light cliffhanger-not cliffhanger. You see it coming and it's not stressful.

Blurb: The bitch is back.

It's me. I'm the bitch. And thanks to my traitorous bestie Sarah's vampire cult having a funny definition of "virgin sacrifice," I'm back from the dead rather than back from a much-needed vacation in Cancun.

Now I'm possessed by their snarky deity, and my afterlife depends on keeping it a secret from her cult of four reincarnated vampire lovers. Budget Edward—I mean Cyrus—and his way more obnoxious twin, Cameron, are at the helm. Then there's Sam, the guy I thought was my friend, who apparently takes backstabbing way too literally. And because things just couldn't get any shittier, my soon-to-be ex-boyfriend Alex is involved. Ex-alive, that is.

They say revenge is a dish best served cold, which is perfect considering the frosty new powers at my disposal, but I think I took it a little too far. When my plan goes sideways and all I get is the attention of a hunter, the cult doesn't try to kill me a second time. I fall under their unwanted protection instead, and they claim I belong to them now—body and soul. And it turns out hate—and heat, which is a whole new experience for me, just like being with a guy is a whole new experience for them—spices things up.

Are enemies with benefits a thing?

Author's note: This is the first book in an MM Vampire Romance series that follows the same main character with multiple love interests. He won't have to choose between his men to get his HEA, and there is eventual male pregnancy in this series. This book ends on a cliffhanger, but not a distressing one.


Series: Coletti Warlord, 15
Author(s): Gail Koger
Length: 174 pages

Genre: Romantic Elements / Alien Romance / Action-Adventure / 

Notes: I have never read any of these in order and it hasn't mattered. My introduction to the series was book 6 and I still cherry pick which ones I want to read. Some of them I will probably never read and it won't affect what I do.

This is an alien romance so it has the trope's typical features of an alien race that has lost its females and now steal human women for mates. In this series, it's humans with psychic abilities and the women are all related in some way (large Jones family). None of them are wilting flowers, they are devious, do what they want though they usually choose the male pursuing them, and collect strange creatures/beings along the way.

This one has some super cute and fluffy moments. Jinx quickly collects an extended family of sentient creatures/beings and I loved them all, especially the spider-scorpion beings. There's also a cute winged crocodile-centipede being and a baby dragon. Oh, and can't forget the baby cthulhu-like being. Caleb is alright for a Coletti.

Blurb: My name is Jinx Tuva. To say my early childhood was rough is putting it mildly. I grew up on the isolated mining world of Cygnus. The population was a whopping three thousand. Loneliness was my constant companion. I dreamed of having friends, meeting new species and traveling the galaxy.

Turns out Fate is one twisted bitch. She granted me my wish. It’s hard to feel lonely while caring for the three feisty, alien children I had rescued. To make things even more fun, a bad-tempered Coletti War Commander has decided I’m his. As if. Okay, he does have a great ass and his kisses are pretty awesome, but bossy doesn’t even begin to describe him.

Mallox, the most hunted villain in the galaxy, is doing his level best to take the children from me. My psychic powers are unique, but are they enough to keep the kids safe? Maybe. The only way to guarantee their safety is to mate with Caleb Jones, the sexy War Commander.

Series: 
Author: L. Rose
Length: 415 pages 

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / Poly / Slow Burn

Note: This author is a hit or miss for me but I really like poly PNRs. Plus it's a standalone.

Blurb: With three hearts to worry about, as well as my own, time will tell if I’m up for the task.

I’ve always been normal. Okay, maybe more of an average guy, who’s quiet and awkward. Just someone who’s trying to survive living in my trailer while dodging my mom’s debt collectors.

Everything changes when a power within me surfaces, and my eyes are thrown wide open.

Humans aren’t the only ones who walk the earth.

Read that again, but slowly. I know. I can hardly believe it either.

There’s more. With my newfound power, I’m expected to attend a college to learn how to use my slightly terrifying and temperamental telekinetic ability, a power I apparently should have received when I was a kid, not at twenty-one.

Throw in my new roommates and my brain threatens to overload while my heart can’t figure out who or what it wants. All my traitorous heart is sure of is that it’s greedy and beats far too fast when any of the three not-completely-human men are around.

Not that my wanting will do me any good. There’s Cade who hates me, Zeke who’s super nice and understanding but way out of my league, and Hyde who’s as scary as he is quiet.

I have no idea if I’ll survive the changes, but I really want to. Just wait and see for yourself. As soon as you meet these guys, you’ll understand and see our undeniable connection. Just be warned, nothing but death will stop me protecting my hearts.

Note: this is a standalone, slow burn, paranormal romance for adults only.

Series: 
Author: Tanya Chris
Length: 101 pages 

Genre: Romance / Paranormal / 

Notes: I've been wanting to read a good rejected mate story where the rejected gets on with their life and leaves the pond scum behind. This was recommended to me and I'll probably read it this weekend.

Blurb: "Of course I smelled him—smelled him and was drawn to him. Rich, ripe, male omega—not far away and well into his heat. Unsatisfied heat. I laughed, realizing that in this moment, at least, the omega was the boss of the alpha. I needed to help him."

Angel, an alpha who's left the violent, strictly hierarchical rules of his pack to find success in the big city, and Leo, an omega on the run from his abusive alpha, are thrust together to satisfy Leo’s urgent heat-lust. But can a once-hurt omega ever trust an alpha to care for and protect him again? And can an alpha sensitive to social injustice learn to enjoy his naturally dominant nature?

Angel and Leo must both face the pasts they ran away from before the two can build a new future together. They may not be able to change the laws of nature, but they can change the language of love.

Omega Reclaimed is a MM alpha/omega shapeshifter novella.

Content warning: this book includes references to past physical abuse and a description of suicide. This is not an MPREG universe. None of the Omega Reimagined stories include MPREG

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment