Thursday, August 9, 2018

Pact Days: Atlainticia Maps #ValespianPact


I drew my first map of Atlainticia while writing Alpha Trine. Since then, I have been expanding on it, bit by bit. There is only one land mass on the planet and it has four major cities along the coastline and many hamlets inland that serve the farmers and cultivators, but those are never far from the Waters of Poseidon. Most Mar'Sani need water and chose to live by lakes and streams but they do travel to the coastline at lease once a week. The oceans covers about 70-71% of the planet and divided up in seas and oceans. Waters of Poseidon is all the water claimed by Poseidon, so to speak. 


With each book and the additional world building and plotting that I have been doing, I needed to expand my meager map which only included Thrace, the mountain range, and the military base. I needed Mount Rhodes where the Mar'sani climb a cliff to obtain the birth bed for the youngling on the way. In Alpha Trine, Zeus compares something to Inferno which is a volcano in the center of the content. In Striker it is mentioned that sages live in the desert. Mar'Sani have been exiled away from the Waters, so there will be other communities more central to the continent. So as the story grows, I will create a bigger map showing more about Atlainticia and her people. 


I think as it expands I'm going to have to start taping pages together. This second photo is an expanded part with more detailed map than the first. The paper is too big for my scanner so I had to take a picture. I will have to make a scaled down version of the continent as a whole and then make 'zoomed in' portions, I think. I won't go so crazy and make a city street map of Thrace. I really don't need it since nothing major will take place there... but I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind once or twice. :)


The one thing I like to do is make parts of the map on scrap paper. I can test out size and placement before putting them on the main pages. This one was drawn because I needed figure out what was where for an 'adventurous' crash landing. It's still a work in progress and I think as I write it, there will be more details because though I have to plot a little bit (lot), I still end up pantsing some as I write. 

Well! I hope you enjoyed the look into the maps of Atlainticia. Making maps for my world is a fun thing that I like to do, but the maps don't always make it into the front of the book. Sometimes they are only necessary for me so that I get the details right every time I write about the area. It is fun sharing them, though. :)

Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment