Friday, August 21, 2015

Extra! Extra! Who Has A Story Prompt?

I was looking through Amazon's recommendations for me, which is diverse because I read everything. Anyway, on my lists are a lot of books with "Alien" in the title. Is this a thing? To waste a part of the plot or blurb on the title? I'm guessing its a search thing which is sad. If so many are using titles like that then there needs to be a category. For me, if there is a giveaway in the title, I automatically skip it. Seriously, nothing about those titles are enticing to me. 

I also saw weird shifter titles that were out of the the norm shifters. Yeti (yes, you read that correctly) and crocodiles kept popping up, not that there are a ton just the same two books everywhere. Amazon doesn't make it easy to find or browse their categories. It's like they are pushing their algorithm buy lists and I hate that as a reader. Please Amazon, make you're list easily accessible so that if I want to find gay science fiction or lesbian fantasy I don't have to do a cavity search. If I have to know the title of the book in order to find it quickly, then that is a fail on the retailers part and why I would go to All Romance first.

Once I found the best seller list, it didn't help me one whit because low and behold there was all their recommendations. Business wise, I understand that. As a reader, it wasn't what I wanted. I don't read much contemporary and I wade through those to find my sci-fi/fantasy gems. Here's another thing I find hard to believe. That out of 30+k books of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender combined category, that there was under 4k in the science fiction/fantasy sub category.

After all of that searching I was no longer interested in reading anything.

When I get frustrated enough, I end up putting together a world and storyline for what I would like to read and to later write myself. Now, if I only had the time to turn all those ideas into books. I would be a happy girl.

It was situation like this were I just wanted something to read in the little time that I had, only to spend that precious time looking for a book. Then, some how through my inner dialogue, my grumblings lead me to contemplate the idea of writing a blog story--again. (I know, one doesn't easily connect to the other but roll with it.)

My mind was like, "Hey, how hard can it be to write 300-500 words a week?" *insert loads of sarcasm* This after the most nerve wracking summer that I've had so far in my writing career. But there is a part of me that still thinks this is an excellent idea.

Then I wondered what could I write as a blog story? I have all these ideas that are already connected to stories I planned to write soon. 

So I need virgin ideas.

That is where you come in. Who has a story prompt? It needs to be Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Paranormal. As much as I would like to write contemporary, it isn't the genre for me. I don't write dub con, slave fic, or anything similar because I'm tempted to murder the MC.

So there are my limits. What are your ideas? 

11 comments:

  1. Mermaids, faeries, phoenix, or lovers from ulternate dimensions. Just please no vamps. I'm vamped out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohhhh, Phoenix. Hummm. What to do with one?

      Delete
  2. OMG... I would loooove to see what comes of this! AHAHA..
    But don't stress yourself too much! >o< !!

    *cough*

    I want more mermaids! *sob* And other shifters! Like... bunnies or owls or snakes! SNAKES! <3
    Also.. yess~ Dragons that involve Mpreg and Knotting! *A*/// <3 <3
    ...and also.. Demi-gods

    As for prompts... do you mean a little something like a summary/picture like how the MMgroup does on GR?? A sentence?
    *(I WILL TOTALLY DO ONE!)* :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pictures are necessary. Maybe a summary of a situation for a set up. I like the snake idea. They're always bad guys. They need some loving too. :D

      Delete
    2. Ohoho! Then, then, I totally have one! :DDD

      GEHH!! okay~~~
      Well, this went on much longer than I hoped but I DO hope you still like and maybe get inspired!! LOL... Change whatever and let your muse sing to you~~ AHAHA <3 <3 I hope you still see this. >o< Ahaha...

      Delete
    3. You know, just last night I was thinking about snake shifters. ^_^ This is a really good prompt. Hmmm...

      Delete
    4. Ahaha, Yay! glad you saw it and I hope it really inspires~ :DDD I'm so excited to see what might come of it. ahaha...

      Delete
  3. Shifters - wolves, big cats, dragons, evil otters (sorry, just re-read Patricia Briggs River Marked) or others
    Love magic users in historical England or similar feel
    Mpreg fae / alien
    Fic Bits for The Valespian Pact series
    Looking forward to seeing what you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! Evil otters. That's cute. I have River Marked on my shelf. I should really read it if it has evil otters.

      Delete