Friday, July 15, 2016

Editing, Editing, and more Editing #ReleasingChaos #SumeriasSons

Usually, before I start writing a book in a series, I read the others to refresh my memory. Of course I have my note book that keeps track of my facts and world notes, but reading the books also reminds me of how the characters are. Often I take notes as I go along. So-in-so said this or did that, and such.

I'm chagrined to say I only read through Twin Flames completely. The other four books in the series, I started here and there. Sometimes I just used the books to look up something. But I'm reading them out of order.  I'll eventually get this done before I review Releasing Chaos one last time before submission.

If you've been following the blog or any of the other social media accounts I have, you'll know I finished writing Releasing Chaos at the end of June. What a relief to complete it, and as much as I wanted to jump into something else to cleanse my pallet, I set Releasing Chaos aside for a couple of weeks and worked on edits for another book.

For the last 10 days I'm back editing and revising this last book of Sumeria's Sons. It feels like everything is going frustratingly slow. I forget sometimes the longer the book, the longer the editing process is. Today or tomorrow I'll finish the first 70,000 words/118 pages. It's the halfway mark for the manuscript. 

So far, I'm extremely satisfied with the story. Some parts I'd forgotten about and so they read as something new to me. I'm concerned that I've cried off and on. I'm extremely tenderhearted so I'll cry at sections that others won't blink an eye at. Granted, some of the emotion comes from saying good-bye to this cast of characters as I tuck their lives away. But I can't deny that part of this plot is heart wrenching and in the process of putting it down on paper, I fell in love for a character that had only been a side fixture until Dragon's Eye.

Up until Dragon's Eye, we've seen all the characters through Tristan's eyes. I don't know about you, but I believe individuals are viewed differently from person to person. Sometimes we see only what we want to see in others. (Seriously, I sincerely thought my brothers were virgins and complete gentlemen when they were teenagers. When my husband commented that my oldest brother was having sex with his girlfriend. I was completely scandalized and defended his virtue. His girlfriend revealed she was pregnant a month later.)

In the same way, Tristan only sees certain things about his friends and family. In Dragon's Eye, Brian's and Ushna's POV were added shedding more light on other characters and also gave us an outside view of Tristan, too. But we have to remember what we see doesn't explain what is going on inside the other characters. If they have secrets, unless they purposefully show their hand, we wouldn't know.

Releasing Chaos broadens that scope. There will be returning POVs from Gregori and Stan. Both of them told their parts in side stories of prior Sumeria Interludes. There is also a POV for Jynx Roth, some of which I might nix--it'll depend on beta feedback. (That I'm even thinking about it says some of it does need to go.) Nathan will have a POV as he plays a prominent part in the plot for the book. I think that if I changed the title to Secrets, it would be just as apt as Releasing Chaos.

With Releasing Chaos being the last book in Sumeria's Sons I wanted it to have a strong ending. To be the best one of the six book series. I want readers to gasp, cheer, jeer, cry, and sit on the edge of their seats. I hope I accomplished that and more. Of all the books I've written so far, this is the one I'm most anticipating beta feedback on. Their response will give me an idea if I hit any of those marks. But before that can happen, I have to finish my edits. So it's back to work for me. I'll leave you with some songs from my Releasing Chaos playlist. Enjoy!


























Thank you for stopping by and reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment