Thursday, October 8, 2015

Added To My Bookshelf #Reading #Bookshelf

It has been a while since I wrote a post about the books that I've read. My stomach gets all squirrelly when I realize that I hadn't read as much as I'd wanted this summer. Writing took precedent over my own pleasure. 

Before I started writing I read hundreds of books a year so when I check my GoodReads reading meter it's weird to get excited for having read about 150 so far this year. I'm a big re-reader which gives me a nice pool to fall back on but doesn't qualify with GR for the reading meter, which is just unfair.

Looking For More by Megan Derr - Is a fun little contemporary with geeky Milo crushing on his neighbor. Milo is a bit of a hot head and Lewis is a bit oblivious but in the end they are so cute together.

Dragon Scales by Sasha L. Miller - Amantea has left his home in search of a dragon that he must catch and hand over to the wizard threatening his family. Only catching the dragon goes all wrong and Amantea finds himself at the mercy of said dragon. A cute, lovely story about opposites attracting. One of my favorite tropes.

Charmed & Dangerous Anthology - I read many anthologies throughout the year because they have shorter stories that usually fit the amount of time I have to read. Plus those stories usually follow a theme. This was a great read although I did skip over a couple because they are attached to series I haven't read yet and I didn't want to get series spoilers. I didn't realize that until I read Ginn Hale's story and half way through I recognized it was sent in her Rifter series. I loved the story but now I'm afraid that I already know the culmination of the series. I was careful after that.

Fit To Be Tied by Mary Calmes - Revisiting Miro and Ian was awesome. I love Miro's POV and how he sees Ian. Ian's father's birthday party really pissed me off that so many people could be so--I was right there with Miro and would've done the same thing.

Hollows Trouble by NJ Nielsen - This is a free story. I loved the lore behind the demons and vampires. I would love to see a story about the his adopted family. I felt their loyalty and love.

Bad Alpha by Evernight Publishing - Another anthology. ^_^ Like all anthologies, some stories really worked for me and others weren't for me. In this one, the stories that worked for me, really worked for me and I would definitely go back and reread my favorites. I even purchased the M/F version of the anthology hoping those stories were along the same vein as this one.

Sloe Rider by Rhys Ford - I have been waiting for Quinn's story since Piper Vaughn convinced me to read this series. I love the black sheep of the family and poor Quinn Morgan stuck out like a sore thumb in the Morgan brood. I was expecting angsty (which I usually avoid) and was relieved the story was more smooth. I loved being in Quinn's head and seeing why he was so different from the rest of the family.

Desires of the Dark Breed 1: Felippe's Honor by Ruby MacIntyre - New to me author and I'm glad that I took a chance. I really enjoyed the story and the world with a unique twist on vampires. I will definitely be picking up the next in the series.

Falling by Belinda McBride - This one took me by surprise. It's historical and about a fallen angel, with a fae as a lover. I really liked and was into it so much that when the story stopped I had a fit. It is a part of a trilogy and the next two are out soon. I hadn't expected it to be so captivated. :)

A Game Most Dangerous by Megan Derr - There is not much I can say beyond the blurb that won't give away spoilers. It's a short well rounded story that didn't leave me hanging. Completely loved how the bad guys came to an end. It was awesome.

Obsidian by Rory Ni Coileain - Of this year's GoodReads M/M Romance group's free stories, this one is my favorite so far. Even though the story is just under 8k, it felt like a full length story when I finished. Expert world building in so few words made me a bit envious. Loved the uniqueness and... just take a chance and read it, especially if you're looking for something different.

My Life Without Garlic by Bailey Bradford -this was cute and funny. I'd read so many serious paranormal stories that the humor was refreshing. Augustin made me laugh out loud so many times.

Electric Candle (audiobook) by Elizabeth Noble - This has been on my TBR for the longest time. I didn't read the first book in the series and this can read as a standalone. When it came out on audio I snatched it up. When I finished I decided to read the whole series. This series is primarily about vampires but the book after this is about Lucas who is a werewolf and I really want his love story. Again, my love for the underdog. :)

Just Deserts (audiobook) by Mary Calmes - So, funny story here. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and when I'm in the car I plug it in. My husband is great (sometimes) with his running commentary. If a company (in the story) employs an all gay cast he will remind me of the statistical probability of that scenario. Pure romance pains him. He's more of a Harry Desden lots of plot with a smidgen of romance reader. The more gooey the romance the more commentary I get. But this one, he was riveted through most of the last half. I had to skip the sex scene for him but he didn't say one word. We both liked Boone and loved the twist as we eventually found out Boone's past. I've listened to this a few times since I picked it up.

Night Shift (audiobook) by Lilith Saint Crow - I read this in book form when it first came out years ago. I have found that my former favorites sometimes don't stay so because I have changed along with my likes and dislikes. I still like this one and in audiobook I think it is even better. I'm now saving up to buy the whole series on audio.

Channeling Morpheus for Scary Mary (audiobook) by Jordan Castillo Price - Why have I waited so long to read this series? Love Wild Bill and his crazy human. I just realized the other day that there were a couple more shorts after this which was the first four or five of the series. I know that I have them somewhere, I just can't remember where I saved them. ^_^

After typing this up, I realize that I'm going through a vampire phase. LOL! I wasn't paying attention. Do you have any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment